SPAM

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
DonJa

Re: SPAM

Post by DonJa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:06 pm

SugarLord wrote:I can recommend using finely cubed Spam (original flavour) as an alternate to minced beef in a Ragu.

Just use garlic and chopped onions, fresh tomatoes and a little red wine, then toss in fried spam and simmer for about an hour. Maybe some basil and tarragon too with a bayleaf if the mood takes. You just have to remember not to add any salt!

Lovely with crusty bread or spaghetti or on some home made hardtack crackers (actually this is best).

I must get some more cans.We do not get as many flavours over here in England as you seem to in the States. Plus Ça change....
I've done something similar to this. Spam's preferable to hotdogs as "junk meat protein", and is quite useful as bolognese or ragu.

Good point on the salt too.

lnschnei

Post by lnschnei » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:43 am

SugarLord wrote:I can recommend using finely cubed Spam (original flavour) as an alternate to minced beef in a Ragu.

Just use garlic and chopped onions, fresh tomatoes and a little red wine, then toss in fried spam and simmer for about an hour. Maybe some basil and tarragon too with a bayleaf if the mood takes. You just have to remember not to add any salt!

Lovely with crusty bread or spaghetti or on some home made hardtack crackers (actually this is best).

I must get some more cans.We do not get as many flavours over here in England as you seem to in the States. Plus Ça change....
This is a great idea. I'm going to try this and see if my family notices.

alcockell

Post by alcockell » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:53 pm

I had to...