1965 DoP - Food Packet Survival General Purpose - 1st Gen

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
steve1989
eBay name: -

1965 DoP - Food Packet Survival General Purpose - 1st Gen

Post by steve1989 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:40 pm

Howdy folks, this is a first generation June 1965 date of production Food Packet, Survival, General Purpose.

The Food Packet Survival General Purpose was first produced in 1965 - replacing both the Survival Tropic, and Survival Arctic in this more compact and convenient survival ration (weighs 12 oz) - designed for all branches - suited for any climate and containing only 8% protein to reduce metabolic water requirements. It is mainly fats and carbohydrates. Contains a soup mix (chicken) and Coffee, Instant. And a Corn Flake Type 1 and Corn Flake Type 2 Bar - freeze dried Potato Cheese Bar, and a Fudge Bar.

Totaling to 16oz of water to re-hydrate those beverage mixes. This was the first generation of FPSGP where the instructions were contained inside the packet on a small sheet of paper, instead of being printed on the outside of the can. Probably better they were printed on the outer part of the can - really don't have to worry about losing that little paper then.

Using the key creates two drinking vessels that hold 6oz brimful - using the P-38 can opener creates a water/cooking vessel that holds 12 oz brimful. Both ways are efficient - if you want two cups - one for cooking and one for drinking, the key is better - if you want a 12oz brimful can for 1 at a time applications, the 12oz option is better for that.

Everything smelled kinda rank of cheese - but in short, 80% of the ration was fully consumable. The Potato Cheese Bar was surprisingly perfect - had a bland cheese flavor - a pleasant freeze dried crunch. Not complex in flavor until added to the chicken soup and the salt brought out so much flavor. Really reminded me of some Kraft easy mac cheese flavor. The potato was much like the FD potato patty in vintage brown baggers.

The corn flake bars picked up the smell of cheese - both extremely dense. Oldsmokey told me that Natick had a 10 ton press for making these old school bars - compacting as much food into one morsel as possible. It was so dense - both still fully edible. Type 1 was sweeter than Type 2. Not much in the way of notable flavor - no dairy in them from what I could tell. Just a very dense, lightly sweet corn flake bar that busted out into a huge amount on each bite. I enjoyed them - sortof a malty flavor to both - but only a hint. Really bland if anything - but not offensive to most palates either I can imagine.

The fudge bar turned - big time. The smell was horrid - a combo of cheese and chemically altered sorbitol (3rd ingredient used as a preservative and perhaps a laxative although a laxative is not efficient in a survival situation I can imagine). Just tastes and smells like a pungent and unpleasant combo of sweet, rancid, chemicals & foulness. Not edible.

The Coffee, Instant, Type II is usually a treat - this time it really tasted like the smell of the cheese bar. I am still amazed the cheese bar was fully edible and enjoyable - just smelled like rank cheese. Just cannot understand how that managed to be the case. Back to the Coffee, Instant - it was drinkable.. but not all too pleasant for how it should have been. Just a lightly acidic and bold cup of coffee that smelled and tasted like old cheese on the initial sense.

The chicken soup was fantastic! Coupled with the cheese/potato bar and you got yourself a nice little morale boost. If splashed with salt water or dehydrated - one is instructed not to consume this salty beverage. But I can imagine how much of a welcome addition it would be to have this soup if you had plenty of water and needed a nice salt boost. Savory - onion flavor. Not too "chickeny" - really a good find - and still a nice treat 52 years later.

The Food Packet Survival General Purpose has gone a number of changes and upgrades over the decades, and is still in service to this day. It is a fine survival ration - always has and always will be one that captivates my interest. And many other's too.

Well anyway, this is Steve1989 here on MREinfo -
Thanks so much for reading. I hope you all enjoyed this review. And I'll be coming back at ya with something new. (or old).
Alright cool, see ya.
Attachments
6.jpg
4.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
*Click on image to flip proper
15.jpg
16.jpg
Last edited by steve1989 on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve1989

Re: 1965 DoP - Food Packet Survival General Purpose - 1st Gen

Post by steve1989 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:43 pm

More pics
Attachments
18.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
24.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg
33.jpg
32.jpg
30.jpg
Corn Flake type 2
29.jpg
Corn flake type 1

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:57 pm

Here is a link to the video. I hope you guys like the review. Thanks so much for watching.

alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Post by alohakid » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:22 am

Dearest steve1989 - As I wrote on your YT channel... glad you salvaged/eat 3 of the 4 items plus soup & java... you are D' Man! Thanks for sharing.

mahalo

sourwes
eBay name: sourwes

Post by sourwes » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:50 am

Awesome review Steve, thanks for sharing! I have always been partial to those cornflake bars myself; strangely addictive :D
it is what it is....

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:25 am

Great review, Steve! It's awesome that so much of it was still good to this day. Thanks for sharing!

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:41 am

Thanks so much, guys! :)

I was amazed by the shelf stability of this 1st gen FPSGP. About 80% edible - the ratio of edible to non-edible components was simply astounding.

This ration is one I hold close - a truly loved ration. It's history and progressions throughout the decades is something I will forever see as nothing short of fascinating. A truly innovative ration that has for the last 52 years now been consistently effective.

I believe it's the longest serving U.S. ration? Perhaps longest serving ration of any country? I am not sure.

Here are the stock photos of it over the decades.
Attachments
00000rat.jpg
000268.jpg
0000rat.jpg
003805b.jpg
00rat.jpg
Heat stress test
000rat.jpg
001622b.jpg
0rat.jpg
New Generation Survival Ration was ne-named to FPSGP in 1996

Simon2002mre
eBay name: simocros17

Post by Simon2002mre » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:08 pm

This Is like a week old, But that is such a cool review. The potato and Cheese bar being in that state is amazing! Things like that never stay in good shape! Thanks for another great review.
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.

JediMindTricks

Post by JediMindTricks » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:55 am

WOW. it looks so new
Image Image Image