1989 Ration, Cold Weather No. 2 B

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
SentientTootsieRoll

1989 Ration, Cold Weather No. 2 B

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Sun May 07, 2017 11:09 pm

Hi everyone. Today for your reading pleasure, I present to you the other part of the previous ration review I posted. Let's get right to it! :D
20170507_185954.jpg
20170507_190124.jpg
20170507_190316.jpg
20170507_190756.jpg
Let's list off the components:
-Candy Chocolate Bars With Toffee, Enriched Sweet Type VII, Style 1
-2x packets of Oatmeal Cookie and Granola Bar (four bars total)
-Beef Stew Cooked-Dehydrated
-2x Fig Bars
-Beverage Base, Orange
-2x Tea Mix, Instant
-Brownie Chocolate Covered
-1st generation MRE spoon

Cool! First off I noticed that there's no accessory packet in this one. I guess the accessory packet from the first one is supposed to supply you for both rations. Let's start opening it up.
20170507_190815.jpg
20170507_190821.jpg
20170507_190836.jpg
20170507_191051.jpg
20170507_191418.jpg
20170507_191506.jpg
The rest of this review will be continued below due to image limitations...

SentientTootsieRoll

Re: 1989 Ration, Cold Weather No. 2 B

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Sun May 07, 2017 11:19 pm

20170507_191526.jpg
20170507_191822.jpg
Looking good indeed! The beef stew smelled a lot like the current production beef stew you'd find in a LRP or MCW. It was divided up into four bars. I decided to keep two of them dehydrated and to hydrate the rest. It was very tasty! Nothing about it would suggest to me that it's nearly 30 years old! I did notice some very hard chunks in the stew. Perhaps they were bones? That was quite odd but not enough to keep me from enjoying it! I preferred it hydrated but it was pretty fun to eat it freeze dried as well.

The chocolate covered brownie was okay. I've had quite a few from this time period recently and they all taste a bit stale, but nothing too bad. I had to clear my pallet for the the toffee bars. They were really enjoyable! I can't say what, but they remind me of a candy bar of some kind. I really enjoyed them. The fig bar was also equally enjoyable. In order to take advantage of that wonderful aged taste, it's important to clear your pallet with water or even the orange drink.

The granola bar was pretty stale. It had a very strong cinnamon smell to it. Flavor wise, not so much. The oatmeal cookie was as good as always. I decided to finish everything off with the orange drink and lemon tea. I used cold water for both. The tea was a bit on the weak side, but that's probably my own doing. I poured exactly one cup of water in it, perhaps that's a bit excessive. The orange drink was wonderful. I can equate it with Tang or something but it was, well, tangy and sweet!

I decided to spare the duplicate items including the spoon (I opted to use a modern MRE spoon, they're just so much better!) as shown in the final photo above. I stored all of those items back into the RCW bag and safely stored it back in my collection.

Overall, I enjoyed this ration. Sure it's not as exciting as the A menu but it was still a fun adventure. Thank you for reading!

housil

Post by housil » Mon May 08, 2017 3:39 am

Nice to see that a 30 years old freezedried ration is still this good - except for the bones :wink:

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Mon May 08, 2017 10:17 am

I REALLY like those candy chocolate bars with toffee that came in these RAFCO RCW's! Super hard to find now days.

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:18 am

This is just so fun to see someone else enjoying a still "fresh" Rafco RCW!

And to think cavguy, you threw out fruit soups. Imagine if ya saved em all with the foresight of trade value? Oh well - I did the same with many components too over the years. Like cran raspberry first strikes - or oatmeal cookie bars. I think I have eaten quite a few of the various doscontinued snacks - well I have also thrown away quite a few cheese spreads and entrees - I always ate the dang sweets first.

Sentient - I love these reviews man - in the same boat as Sourwes - nothing beats a written review for a solid description. And nostalgia. 8)

So last Beef Stew Rafco I had, I ate some of the bars/slices dry - I was on a flight out to CA and had them. It was interesting eating a 30 year old meat/peas/potato bar next to this old lady who had no idea on that plane...hehhe.

This is a classic feel good MRE Review - looking at that plate of goodness - the shiny & weird choco brownie - and those velvety strange fig newtons - it's a rite of passage.

I hope you find another RAFCO again Sentient - and next time it's gotta have Strawberry fruit soup so ya know the difference - I say raspberry is better, but strawberry certainly warrants the hunt for it.

SentientTootsieRoll

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Thu May 11, 2017 1:33 pm

I was also pretty impressed with the longevity, housil. If you're a survivalist or something, these rations would've been great to stock up on because none the components really went bad.

Cavguy, I'm keeping one of them in the bag for preservation. It was really enjoyable so I'm constantly tempted to go back and eat it, but I must resist!

Thanks for the comments Steve. Even if there's a component in an MRE I don't like, I never throw it away, even if it's old. Heck, I still have 30 year old cheese spread stored away. Why? Well, I really want to see how it ages before I leave this world, lol! Same with the rest of the old MRE items. As for new stuff, I just keep it on hand in case it becomes super rare or I find someone else who would enjoy it.

Video reviews are cool, but I personally prefer the written ones. The best part would have to be high resolution pics. I like being able to zoom in and read the packages, etc. And the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine can archive and preserve the info for (hopefully) generations to come.