Food Packet, In Flight, Individual IF-7 from Oldsmokey

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
steve1989
eBay name: -

Food Packet, In Flight, Individual IF-7 from Oldsmokey

Post by steve1989 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:18 pm

Thanks so much Oldsmokey for this amazing chance to see what a 61 year old IF 7 is looking like.

It was a slight mixed bag - the main course was just a tad too ripe for my tastes. I prefer less metal and rot. And as for anaerobic bacteria is concerned, I say it's just not my cup of tea.
And the pears were certainly past the point of looking like pears and more like lumps of coal. Also smelled of metal and rot - this time like deep copper and death.

The bread was still sortof edible - I had a couple bites. What can ya do? I liked the looks of it - the fruity yeast smell was inviting to me. It contrasted well with the background of fetid meat and pears in the back of my mind. You know, that sortof smell that permeates your sinus cavity along with memory. You could be 10 miles from the smell.. but still smell it, ya know?

So back to the bread - it was dry. Very dry - I felt if the pears were still good you could have dropped that bread in with that light syrup and it woulda been a nice deal. Nowadays, I was just lucky to be able to try 6 decade old bread without any high cost (well, this was 14 hours ago, I am okay right now).
So after a couple somewhat not so enjoyable downed bites, the numb mouth sets in. Whoops. I never learn.

And that is when the coffee and tea comes into play - clean the old palate .

Coffee Instant in the strange white pack was less acidic than usual. It was amazing washing that bread down.

The Nescafe tea is bland and tasteless other than slight bitter light caramel until you add that Va Brode 6grm sugar - now it's good tea like any modern instant.

The main - turkey loaf mold reacted. The mold literally got darker and appeared to grow as it sat out in open air.. making what I deem the most horrifying Ration experience I have witnessed yet. It was disturbing to me - I was actually worried about breathing the same air shared in the room of it.

Date pudding smelled nice upon opening - but after lifting the lid and putting my nose near, it was strong of foul shortening and metal. Bummer.

What an amazing look into something that you do not get a chance to see every day.

Thank you SO much to Oldsmokey - this was such an amazing (and terrifying) experience! It was so inspiring - and I hope you too get such an awesome experience soon with a Ration. But to you and everyone else - in the good advice of many who have told me... be careful! And have fun. :)
Attachments
1.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg

steve1989

Re: Food Packet, In Flight, Individual IF-7 from Oldsmokey

Post by steve1989 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:19 pm

!
Attachments
23.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg
29.jpg
30.jpg
31.jpg
32.jpg
33.jpg
34.jpg

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Thanks so much for looking and for your interest.

Be safe and until next time!

-Steve
Attachments
14.jpg
35.jpg
000276_b.jpg
000276_a.jpg
000264.jpg
000274.jpg

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Too ripe and too much bacteria? I don't think it's anything a little warming up and trimming off the bad parts couldn't have fixed. :-)

Seriously, though - awesome review and pics - thanks for sharing!

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:27 pm

I say just throw her on the fryin pan - it will cook the germs off! ;)

Wonder what that stuff is looking like under a microscope, Kman? I want to find that out someday! :)

Thanks so much! I am working on editing it right now - and this one was just so cool I had to share it here because it is an exciting one! That bread was amazing for the age really.

Thanks so much again to Oldsmokey for this one!

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:01 am

Very cool, thanks for sharing Steve! It would be pretty cool to see what kind of stuff you could culture from an old ration like that. Maybe we're better off not knowing though, haha. :mrgreen:

Mountainmisty
eBay name: woody8330

Post by Mountainmisty » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:14 am

I hope you didnt eat it hearing you throw up one time on video was enough
Thank you
Misty :lol: :D

ElevatorFan73

Post by ElevatorFan73 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:43 am

Great review! I'm sure just swiping a UV light underneath it a few times would of cleared that stuff right up, Bon Appétit!

That ham was, honestly though, the most scariest thing you've opened up on camera. I can't even imagine the smell that thing must of had.

Ryan
*opens crackers and a horrible, bleach scent fills the room*
"Not bad."

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:27 am

Cool review Steve! Interesting to see the mold on that meal also... Much like you, I have tried a bunch of C-ration pound cakes and so far the first bite always seems a little inviting, then after the second bite the tongue says NO!

Conrad
eBay name: ConradsAutoParts

Post by Conrad » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:40 pm

Not exactly appealing food but very interesting to see