Baptism for a ration newbie

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
RockyRaab

Baptism for a ration newbie

Post by RockyRaab » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:16 am

I was invited to go fishing with a local man yesterday. In return for the invite, I offered him a TOTM for lunch. He said something like "I haven't had a ration in 60 years or so, so I'm curious." I gave him a choice of five menus, and he picked Chili with Macaroni from Wornick.

Once on the water, he said, "I remember rations coming in cans and eaten cold." And he was therefore amazed at the pouch and heater. I prepared his and mine (a veggie taco pasta) while he surveyed the other contents of his meal. When I served up his chili he said, "You know, this is the first hot meal I've ever had in a boat. I think I may be spoiled forever." And then he scarfed down the chili, the pretzels, the zapplesauce, the patriotic cookies - and the M&Ms.

And then he asked me "Where can I get more of these?"

I think we have a convert.

The veggie taco pasta, by the way, is better than the name suggests. It's more like a "meat substitute chill mac" than anything else. I almost wish I had picked something else to show my friend a larger view of the meals available, but I was eager to try the VTP. Mine was the skimpier of the two from SOPAKCO, containing only the entree, tortillas, PB, drink, M&MS, and sundries. Their more generous version has a side and a zapplesauce in addition to the above. I wish I had chosen that one, as I was still a little bit hungry after I finished mine. All that fresh air, ya know. Anyway, that makes this an official review, so I can close out this little tale.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Name_not_found

Re: Baptism for a ration newbie

Post by Name_not_found » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:27 am

Great story thanks for sharing!

Its tough to beat a hot meal on a boat for sure 8)
Ration Reviews: USA, Australia, Canada, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Spain, Russia, Lithuania
Wish List: Rations from anywhere I haven't reviewed yet!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlQPi ... kQXu87uUCA

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:09 am

Great story! Those of the kind of experiences that get people hooked, for sure!

I recently gave my neighbor a couple of MREs. He likes to mountain bike and hike, and had never seen an MRE before. I'm kind of excited to see how he liked them, he was pretty excited to get them. :)

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:09 pm

Such a heart (and food) warming story! :)
Good luck and may your rations stay unspoiled!

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:13 pm

Nicely done, Rocky!

Cool story & thank you for sharing! :)

Another one gets the MRE-bug - and now maybe a buddy to go out with ya on he boat to share an occasional MRE with. Nothing beats the simple stuff like that in life. A hot meal on a boat..! :)

Things like that are really cool - it reminds me of the first time I shared an MRE with my older brother.

He finally decided to go out exploring with me in the woods - I was always into getting out there in the Florida "jungle" and find neat things.
So we were going through a shortcut on some train tracks, I had a back pack with 2 MRE's and some water, and I decided to stop along side the tracks and have some lunch.
We each had some 2005's - he had Cajun Rice w Sausage, and I had that Pork Patty that looks like a Mcrib (those things are truly delicious despite being so unhealthy).
To my surprise, John (my bro) loved the dang Cajun Rice w Sausage - and I remember eating clam chowder in the FL heat and washing it down with some orange beverage base.. it was kindof rough!

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Post by BTemple » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:17 pm

Great story! Certainly is nice to get some other people interested in rations. I'm usually looked at with a combination of disdain and pity and wonderment when I say I buy and review rations. Not much of a ration community here in my part of Canada, only 500,000 or so people living in Newfoundland.
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

Conrad
eBay name: ConradsAutoParts

Post by Conrad » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:10 am

That's a nice story. You'd better hook that old guy up with a little selection of rations and really brighten up his fishing trips

alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Post by alohakid » Sat May 27, 2017 2:18 pm

Love the great story... have you shared an MRE with fishing buddy lately?... thanks for the share.

mahalo

Fatboytactical

Post by Fatboytactical » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:50 pm

Reading the stories reminds me of my first ration. When I was a kid in the late 70’s or early 80’s my dad was in the National Guard here in Iowa he would keep C rations and we take them hiking and fishing. It was so cool as a kid to eat Army food!

WorkmanMRE

Post by WorkmanMRE » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:58 pm

RockyRaab wrote:I was invited to go fishing with a local man yesterday. In return for the invite, I offered him a TOTM for lunch. He said something like "I haven't had a ration in 60 years or so, so I'm curious." I gave him a choice of five menus, and he picked Chili with Macaroni from Wornick.

Once on the water, he said, "I remember rations coming in cans and eaten cold." And he was therefore amazed at the pouch and heater. I prepared his and mine (a veggie taco pasta) while he surveyed the other contents of his meal. When I served up his chili he said, "You know, this is the first hot meal I've ever had in a boat. I think I may be spoiled forever." And then he scarfed down the chili, the pretzels, the zapplesauce, the patriotic cookies - and the M&Ms.

And then he asked me "Where can I get more of these?"

I think we have a convert.

The veggie taco pasta, by the way, is better than the name suggests. It's more like a "meat substitute chill mac" than anything else. I almost wish I had picked something else to show my friend a larger view of the meals available, but I was eager to try the VTP. Mine was the skimpier of the two from SOPAKCO, containing only the entree, tortillas, PB, drink, M&MS, and sundries. Their more generous version has a side and a zapplesauce in addition to the above. I wish I had chosen that one, as I was still a little bit hungry after I finished mine. All that fresh air, ya know. Anyway, that makes this an official review, so I can close out this little tale.
Great story, i cant wait to share them with my family. Especially the elders. Thanks for sharing! I love that taco pasta!
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39Adn ... subscriber
-----------------------------------------------------------