2012 LRP: Beef Stroganoff

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
ancienttyrael
eBay name: apiontek11

2012 LRP: Beef Stroganoff

Post by ancienttyrael » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:44 pm

Hey Folks,

This came into the mail today and I decided to crack it open as its my first LRP.

So here is all the contents in the bag, excuse me for the clutter on my desk:

list
----------
entree
jelly candy
nut mix
cherry drink
sports bar
accessories bag
spoon

Alight I had to go for the candy first, I never seen anything like this in a MRE, also is that a MCW package?

Never had Chuckles before, taste was kinda bland, then again looking at the back:
mmm 3 years after best date.

Next the accessory bag

moist towelette
two paper bundles
Tabasco sauce packet
salt
matches
gum
coffee

I didn't open the bag but feeling the coffee it was toast as it was just a solid brick. It was the Maximus coffee packs and I absolutely hate them quality wise. I actually cracked open another accessory bag from a past MRE and made some Type 3 brew.

The Nut fruit mix was pretty good. I like it that it had cranberries mixed in with raisins too!

Now for the main entree, I was pretty excited. Never had freeze dried meals before so this was a new experience.

date code

finished product

That tasted phenomenal, its close to homemade honestly. I'm assuming it's just the lack of preservatives compared to normal MREs. There's so much of it and then you got the little bits that didn't soak up water that were crunchy. No need to add seasoning except maybe that tobasco sauce for some kick but other than that I was blown away. This was an amazing meal my only complaint was the candy, I honestly would have preferred some crackers to throw in for more crunch. Can't wait for my other ones to come in and probably will grab an MCW eventually.

[ex-Member1]

Re: 2012 LRP: Beef Stroganoff

Post by [ex-Member1] » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:40 am

Thanks for the review, I was curious to see what's inside of this LRP. I had only main sent to me as a additional gift and I loved it! There is no need for anything extra like hot sauce or salt, it's awesome just as it is.

This is my review of it viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6173

housil

Post by housil » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:03 am

That Stroganoff is great, I really liked it too

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:47 am

I recently tried the Beef Stroganoff and found it very good as well. I'm a big fan of the sports bars but not so much the chuckles candy. My only issue was the absence of the nut raisin mix. I bought the LRP sealed from a military surplus store so I know the store owner did not open the LRP and take the nut raisin mix out. So as Ronnie James Dio would say "it's a mystery."

rabidwolf

Post by rabidwolf » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:52 pm

Good review, that LRRP has always been my favorite. In my opinion, the Mountain House Beef Stroganoff is just as good or the same as the LRRP main. Which is not surprising. Given the fact they are made by the same company.

ancienttyrael
eBay name: apiontek11

Post by ancienttyrael » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:14 pm

rabidwolf wrote:Good review, that LRRP has always been my favorite. In my opinion, the Mountain House Beef Stroganoff is just as good or the same as the LRRP main. Which is not surprising. Given the fact they are made by the same company.
Honestly I'm sure it is just the same just more was put into the LRP than civilian packets.