2014 MCW - Turkey Tetrazzini

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

2014 MCW - Turkey Tetrazzini

Post by parafireboy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:23 pm

Today for dinner I decided to try my first MCW. I recently picked up a 2014 DoP sealed case on eBay for a pretty good deal, so I've got extras to try now. :) It was packaged by Wornick, and is menu #4. I actually went to the mountains a few days ago with the intention of doing the review in a more "expeditionary" setting with some great scenery, but lately I am cursed when it comes to the weather. The one day I had free to head into the mountains it storms. A little rain wouldn't have stopped me, but it was downright nasty. Oh well, you'll just have to settle for a review from the comforts of home. :)

Let's get started. . .
IMG_1659.JPG
MCW - Menu 4 (2014)
I opened it up and laid everything out to inventory. . .
IMG_1660.JPG
MCW Contents
Including the accessory packet. . .
IMG_1661.JPG
MCW Accessory Packet
The vacuum seal was intact on the entree, and gave a nice vacuum hiss when opened. The contents looked and smelled good.
IMG_1662.JPG
Entree Dry
I added the specified amount of water (16 oz) and waited about 10 minutes as directed, then got it plated on my fine dinner service. The mocha desert bar was interesting. There is no real difference between the inner and outer parts of the bar, it is the same consistency throughout. It reminded me of one of those breakfast protein bars. It was kind of so-so. Not great, but not horrible either. The cheese spread was. . . well, come on, it's always good :D The crackers were fine, though I will forever miss the salted ones of the late 80's MREs.
IMG_1663.JPG
Contents Prepared
I forgot one of the golden tips for these dehydrated entrees, start small on the liquid. Since the directions called for 16 oz I should have added 13 or 14 and checked it. It was a little wet, but it was still quite good. I just poured off some of the liquid from the bag before putting it on the tray. There were ample pieces of white and dark turkey meat, green beans, and thin noodles. I see why they don't include salt in the accessory packet, it was plenty salty as it was, but not too much.
IMG_1666.JPG
Entree Close-Up
The beverages were good. The orange beverage was very similar to those "Emergen-C" type of vitamin drinks, and was actually pretty refreshing. It wasn't over-the-top sweet like so many of the US beverages. The mocha cappuccino drink was pretty decent too, and made a nice "desert" drink. With these, I usually add slightly more water than it specifies, which help make it not too sweet. Just my personal taste. The coffee was good for an instant coffee, and went well with the mocha desert bar.
IMG_1665.JPG
Beverages
Overall, I was pleased with this menu. I'm glad I've got some more to use, and I look forward to trying some in the Montana winter later this year (not that I'm in a hurry for winter in any way though :wink: ).

Thanks for looking!

[ex-Member1]

Re: 2014 MCW - Turkey Tetrazzini

Post by [ex-Member1] » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:57 am

Thanks for the review. Mains in LRP and MCW looks so much better then in MRE's.

housil

Post by housil » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:05 am

Your review made really want to eat one of mine too!

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:10 pm

Awesome review, Para!

Love the photo set - is that a WW2 OD wool blanket? And out on that tray.. Nice!!

And great advice on the re-hydration process - always better to add a little less water than directed. And by the way, Turkey Tetrazzini is a great entree - I believe they were in regular Thermo-Stabilized pouched MRE's until 2007 or 2008. NNF sent me a 2005 MCW Tetrazzini and it is going to be reviewed at some point - I am sure it will be in the same condition as your 8-9 years newer version.

parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:00 pm

housil wrote:Your review made really want to eat one of mine too!
It was good, and it made me look forward to the others! :)
steve1989 wrote:Awesome review, Para!

Love the photo set - is that a WW2 OD wool blanket? And out on that tray.. Nice!!
Thanks! Yep, it's a WW2-era blanket. The tray is Korea-era, dated 1953 if I remember correctly.

parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:01 pm

Asger wrote:Thanks for the review. Mains in LRP and MCW looks so much better then in MRE's.
Thanks Asger! Yes, they are pretty good, for sure! :)

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:10 pm

Awesome review! I never had the opportunity to to have any other US ration besides the standard MRE, and I have to say the entrees for the MCWs, LRPs and what-have-you-nots look very appealing.
Good luck and may your rations stay unspoiled!

parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:39 am

FREMONT wrote:Awesome review! I never had the opportunity to to have any other US ration besides the standard MRE, and I have to say the entrees for the MCWs, LRPs and what-have-you-nots look very appealing.
Thanks FREMONT! I was impressed with the MCW.

Bizon
eBay name: bisostrasni

Post by Bizon » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:12 pm

I have had my first turkey tetrazini yesterday also.
I must say its much better than standard mres.
Theres so much more taste in them.and tabasco was a pleasant suprise also.

Heres vid chechk it out if you want.

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:38 pm

Bizon wrote:I have had my first turkey tetrazini yesterday also.
I must say its much better than standard mres.
Theres so much more taste in them.and tabasco was a pleasant suprise also.

Heres vid chechk it out if you want.

Nice review! And I do have to say, your English speaking skills are impressive.
Good luck and may your rations stay unspoiled!