FSR menu 5

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
TechManDan
eBay name: Av1979

FSR menu 5

Post by TechManDan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:11 am

20160606_173302.jpg
20160606_173529.jpg
I have been wanting to try one of these things for a while now and was excited to see them available for a reasonable price on ebay. First impression is, wow there's a lot of stuff. However there is nothing I would consider a meal, just a whole lot of snack items. You have to consider that's the intention of the ration. They are issued during the initial days of a conflict for soldiers who wouldn't have time heat a traditional mre, just grab something and fight.
I guess the main item of the ration was the bbq chicken sandwich, it was decent. I was surprised to see a commercial package of lemon pepper tuna in there. I thought it was a little dryer then normal. The first strike bar was disappointing as it was about half the size of the ones included in the traditional mres. I was impressed with the turkey nuggets, I could have sworn they were beef jerky bites. The caffinated mints had more of a bitter caffeine taste then mint flavor. Most of the other items were identical to the items found in regular mres. All in all it's a good 24hr ration for someone who lacks time to cook in the field. My youngest son loves this ration as it's all snack item from mres he enjoys.

TechManDan
eBay name: Av1979

Re: FSR menu 5

Post by TechManDan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:15 am

Forgot about the mixed berry energizing gel, I wasn't sure if it is intended to be eaten with the peanut butter and crackers like jelly or alone like some of those sports gel drinks. It did have more of a jelly consistency.

gundog4314
eBay name: gundog4314

Re: FSR menu 5

Post by gundog4314 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:19 pm

I've tried a few of these. They sure would have been nice for the long 32 mile road marches. We had to settle for bits and pieces of MREs tucked in our BDU chest pockets. We never took the mains or entree's as they were, depending on the menu, difficult enough to eat sitting on the ground. I recall we only stopped to change socks, powder feet and thighs if you had a hot spot. Oh the memories LOL!