RCW - Brownie, Chocolate Covered and Oatmeal Cookie,CC

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
krecon1

RCW - Brownie, Chocolate Covered and Oatmeal Cookie,CC

Post by krecon1 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:31 am

Busted out some of my roughly 20 year old RCW Brownie, Chocolate Covered and Oatmeal Cookie, Chocolate Covered last night and tried them out. I have had these since a field op in 2000, and they were likely in storage for a few years before that, so I figure 20 years is fairly accurate.

Packages were sealed tight and the brownie and cookie smelled just as I remember them. The brownie's flavor wasn't off or bad, just too chocolaty for my liking. The oatmeal cookie was great, nice and crunchy too. No excess oil and shine on either of the rations. I didn't get a picture of the oatmeal cookie - I have more to open up so next I'll get better pictures.
Attachments
IMG_1795.JPG
IMG_1795.JPG (32.76 KiB) Viewed 11563 times
IMG_1793.JPG
IMG_1793.JPG (43.63 KiB) Viewed 11563 times

kman
Site Admin

Re: RCW - Brownie, Chocolate Covered and Oatmeal Cookie,CC

Post by kman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:37 am

Too bad you didn't get a picture of that chocolate covered oatmeal cookie - those things are the best (even at 20 years old)! The brownie looks nice, too.

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Post by Ruleryak » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:21 am

The brownies don't tend to fare as well thanks to the nuts - I have a few dozen that are all most likely rancid - always a shame because they were pretty decent. The chocolate covered oatmeal cookies can't go bad - I've had them at 30+ years old and they're still fantastic. It'll be a sad day when none of them exist anymore because we ate them all

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:13 pm

Hey Krecon1, that sure is a nice looking Brownie, Chocolate Covered ya got there. Kman & Ruleryak are right on the money when they say those Cookie, Chocolate Covered's last nearly a lifetime - they are both becoming a Ration Commodity by this point. The Brownies are becoming scarce, well, the "fresh" ones are.

They still put Cookie, Chocolate Covered in one menu in US Rations now and that is Chicken & Rice LRP's and MCW's. Well that's the only place left I know of that they still pack em' into.

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:38 pm

Those chocolate-covered ones are great, for sure! I haven't seen one for awhile, but I'm always keeping an eye out for them. The chocolate always endured heat pretty well, but still had good taste. It wasn't waxy like the old desert bars from Desert Storm. Good stuff!
Ruleryak wrote:The brownies don't tend to fare as well thanks to the nuts - I have a few dozen that are all most likely rancid - always a shame because they were pretty decent. The chocolate covered oatmeal cookies can't go bad - I've had them at 30+ years old and they're still fantastic. It'll be a sad day when none of them exist anymore because we ate them all

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:58 pm

Hey guys - anyone ever take a 1998 Wornick RCW Oatmeal Cookie Bar and Chocolate Covered Oatmeal Cookie and make a double decker? ooooooooh boy this is some serious Ration eating here.

ps I will be back guys - just compiling info and resources and trying to get some other projects under way. Will respond to some PM's and whatnot soon - miss you guys hope all's well and keep cool!

-Steve
Attachments
DSCN7711.JPG
ooo la laa
DSCN7710.JPG
DSCN7709.JPG
Life.
DSCN7704.JPG
DSCN7701.JPG
Velvety soft, sweet, blueberry dominant fruit flavor, delicious!
DSCN7700.JPG
DSCN7699.JPG
Smells sweet, tangy, blueberry zest, lightly aged, strong but pleasant, a rare delicacy and hard to come by.
DSCN7694.JPG
Blueberry bars are in the 1998 Wornicks
DSCN7672.JPG
1998 Wornick RCW - one of the best of the best. It's kinda like the equivalence to a dime piece woman on a calendar. Seriously good stuff.

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:08 pm

Heck, I hope krecon doesn't mind I just put this stuff up here... I'm in the mood to share.. hehe :wink:
Attachments
DSCN7651.JPG
(This is going to be part of a super thread on RCW's - the packaging is all being preserved and opened carefully and professionally. Then the case and packaging goes to a special collection with an important future.
DSCN7731.JPG
DSCN7729.JPG
DSCN7737.JPG
after
DSCN7730.JPG
during
DSCN7717.JPG
before
DSCN7716.JPG
Maple Oatmeal - be careful if you open this up the wrong way, you'll have oats flyin' all over the damned place!
DSCN7715.JPG
Apple Cider. This stuff always smells so darn good!
DSCN7714.JPG
DSCN7713.JPG

housil

Post by housil » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:42 pm

Thx for the review and sharing the pictures wit us. The RCW are always special to me.

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:32 pm

Awesome pics and reviews.
I guess I'm tempted now to open one of my 90's vintage RCW's and make a review of one of them.
"Live long and prosper..."

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:10 pm

Thanks, guys! The RCW is one of my favorite Military Rations and I always have such a great time with them and sharing my experiences of what is a classic US Military Ration.