Quick and Dirty MCW menu 2-Beef Stroganoff

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
elandil

Quick and Dirty MCW menu 2-Beef Stroganoff

Post by elandil » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:36 pm

this is going to be a quick and dirty review, mainly because my phone/camera didn't charge correctly and went dead before I could take pictures. Plus, this is part of my Occupational Therapy.

So, had a get together this weekend at a local park with a camping group i'm part of. We were told to bring a picnic lunch if we chose, So I took the opportunity to kill a couple of birds with one stop. I tested the MCW, and a new Quickstove camping stove kit I had picked up and was going to review. (if anyones interested, i'd be happy to post a quick review of it)

Meal, Cold Weather Menu 2-Beef Stroganoff.

Individual component breakdown...

Freeze Dried Beef Stroganoff
Chocolate Sports Bar
Cherry Beverage Pouch
Cranberries, Sliced
Fruit Nut Mix
Accessory Packet
Spoon

The freeze dried Beef Stroganoff was the basic LRRP/MCW Mountain House packet. Brought 3/4 canteen cup of water to boil in the pot, dumped in packet, stirred, and let sit for about 10-15 minutes. Pleasant taste, got hints of the sour cream, and not as salty as I thought it might be.

Chocolate Sports bar- your basic HOOAH/First strike bar. Not much more to add

Fruit Nut Mix-Again, same basic MRE mix, nothing special.

Cranberries/Sliced....this one seemed to deviate from the usual. I've seen the Osmotic Cranberries, but never the sliced. Big pieces, didn't have the sugary sweetness the Osmotic had. Kept going back and grabbing a handful during the discussions...

Cherry Drink Mix- Came in a contoured pouch like you normally see the coffee's/cappuccino's in, had to add liquid back to the pouch 3 times to get it to keep mixing, it never seemed to want to dissolve. Taste was a cross between an unsweetened JuicyJuice Cherry and Cherry KoolAid. Not really unpleasant, but not my first choice. Would definately take it over the Grape.

Accessory packet, Standard MRE pack. Coffee, Creamer, and Sugar all three in the brown packets, mint gum, TP, Matches, WetWipe. Had tabasco pouch, but no salt.

All in all, a lightweight packet I could see carrying on a day hiking trip instead of a MRE if weight was a concern.

I kept all the wrappers and leftovers, will try to take some pics later and add on in the next few days.

[ex-Member1]

Re: Quick and Dirty MCW menu 2-Beef Stroganoff

Post by [ex-Member1] » Tue May 03, 2016 6:18 pm

Awesome review too bad the phone battery went dead.

Dry fruit is one of things I never cant get enough :mrgreen:

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Wed May 04, 2016 1:17 am

Good review Elandil, thanks for sharing! :D

Name_not_found

Post by Name_not_found » Wed May 04, 2016 4:10 pm

Thanks for the review

Id like to hear about the cookset
Ration Reviews: USA, Australia, Canada, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Spain, Russia, Lithuania
Wish List: Rations from anywhere I haven't reviewed yet!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlQPi ... kQXu87uUCA

elandil

Post by elandil » Wed May 04, 2016 5:24 pm

Name_not_found wrote:Thanks for the review

Id like to hear about the cookset
here ya go. :)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6179