UGR - Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal (and 2 2014 DoP UGR Cakes!)

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
steve1989
eBay name: -

UGR - Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal (and 2 2014 DoP UGR Cakes!)

Post by steve1989 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:20 am

Here's a change up from my usual "other ration review" kinda reviews.

I landed 2 of these things and decided to try one out and I had high hopes.

Well, it turned out to be hardly edible!

So - I heated it on low for about 25 minutes in water - it shouldn't have tasted like it did.. which was like plastic and artificial flavoring to the max! Just absolutely awful!

I have 1 more and will open it sometime soon and when I do, I won't heat it in it's original container just in case that's what made this one taste god awful.

We will find out soon, folks!

In the meantime - witness some photos of this debacle.
Attachments
DSCN1896.JPG
Looks ok - tastes like something went horribly wrong!
DSCN1894.JPG
DSCN1891.JPG
DSCN1884.JPG
DSCN1882.JPG
Last edited by steve1989 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

housil

Re: UGR - Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

Post by housil » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:24 am

steve1989 wrote: it shouldn't have tasted like it did.. which was like plastic and artificial flavoring to the max! Just absolutely awful!
I´m sorry it tasted this bad as I like T-18 rations.

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:48 pm

I still have several UGR's.... 2 mystery meats and gravy and 2 scrambled eggs with bacon and sausage.
"Live long and prosper..."

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:51 pm

I tried one of these a few years ago, it def. tasted of HIGHLY sugary apple "corn syrup" flavored oatmeal, the cinnamon was sort of drowned out by the "syrup" taste.... I do notice however that there is no corn syrup on the ingredients list. Sadly I too agree this UGR was barely edible, if at all.

I firmly believe that these UGR's that have made it to the civilian market are rejects from Govt. contracts for some reason or another. One possible reason for rejection would be a failure of a random taste sample test from a particular batch, maybe to much of one ingredient or another inconsistency.

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:03 pm

housil wrote:
steve1989 wrote: it shouldn't have tasted like it did.. which was like plastic and artificial flavoring to the max! Just absolutely awful!
I´m sorry it tasted this bad as I like T-18 rations.

I was pretty excited about this one too, alas it didn't work out too well.
No worries!

I have a photo set of UGR Blueberry Cake with a fresh 2014 DoP and I need to post that on next!

My girlfriend & I absolutely loved that cake - I think we collectively consumed about 28 grams of trans fat with that one...! :oops:

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:05 pm

Bypah wrote:I still have several UGR's.... 2 mystery meats and gravy and 2 scrambled eggs with bacon and sausage.

Oooo! Those sound delightful, Bypah! Especially those mystery meats and gravy! Is it pork? Is it beef? I dunno but it's meat!! And I'm hungry!

I always think of the site slogan too with that: Because everything tastes good when you're hungry!

Makes me smile every time. :)

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:39 pm

cavguy wrote:I tried one of these a few years ago, it def. tasted of HIGHLY sugary apple "corn syrup" flavored oatmeal, the cinnamon was sort of drowned out by the "syrup" taste.... I do notice however that there is no corn syrup on the ingredients list. Sadly I too agree this UGR was barely edible, if at all.

I firmly believe that these UGR's that have made it to the civilian market are rejects from Govt. contracts for some reason or another. One possible reason for rejection would be a failure of a random taste sample test from a particular batch, maybe to much of one ingredient or another inconsistency.
Hey Cav, yeah man these things taste like they cut every corner in the book! I have no idea what was wrong with this one - but I swear it tasted like the plastic somehow started to leach directly into the oatmeal - it seriously tasted like melted artificial plastic flavored oatmeal with a side of cinnamon.
I'll bet you're right about many of those UGR's that make it to civvy market - I have a very good buddy who buys like a 100lbs of UGR's for a yearly event, and I think his are always good so who knows?

All I can say is, these Oatmeal ones are a NO-GO! I have 1 left - maybe I should try that one cold before I make any further judgements.

Always cool getting your feedback on this sorta thing cavguy, thankyou!

p.s. I got you a Hershey's Tropical bar that still looks edible, a Chocolate Nut Cake, and a few other things that I saved for you so you should be getting a nice little care package in a month or 2 once it grows to a nice Medium Flat Rate sorta size! 8) Also sending some goodies to Cutsman - he's a cool guy and I'm working on a flat rate for him too so I'm guessing you 2 dudes will get yours shipped out the same time. I'm going to aim for end of March - been trying to win some regular MRE's on ebay lately too and damn they always go for way too much money! Doohhh!!

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:42 pm

Steve, cool deal man. I will give whatever you send a try for sure! I have been super busy lately so not much time for leisure posting. Shoot me a PM if you need my info again.

Norton

Post by Norton » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:38 pm

I am surprised they put oatmeal in precooked form, it looks very unappetizing from here.
For pre-cook field heated breakfast, rather have a meat and eggs.
In the past I had disliked the T pack breakfast fare except a potato sausage and egg mix. It was not bad

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Post by Ruleryak » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:52 pm

Crazy, the Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal has been one of my favorites. I've gone through about half a dozen trays out in the desert and never had any leftovers when the plates came back. Everything tastes amazing after a week on an alkali flat though :mrgreen:

I only ever heated up UGRs in their original trays one year. I brought out a steamer tray system and it didn't work out that well (nothing got hot, just luke warm) so every year since then I've brought out crock pots to heat up the rations and that has worked out just fine.

Maybe yours could have just gone bad from age or storage?