Food Packet, Survival, Abandon Ship

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.

Would you have eaten the black fruit bar?

Would you have eaten the black fruit bar?
40%
Would you have tossed it?
35%
Would you have left it outside to see if any animals would eat it?
9%
Would you have kept it sealed even though it was sticky and.. yuck!
16%

Total votes: 43

steve1989
eBay name: -

Re: Food Packet, Survival, Abandon Ship

Post by steve1989 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:10 pm

alohakid wrote:
steve1989 wrote:Hey rattatoo, that is fascinating stuff right there! If you ever find that cigarette packaging, please share a picture!
I hear ya, I never throw any Ration packaging out of it is something rare & interesting. Actually, I have a hard time even throwing out standard MRE pouches because of all the practical uses!

Folks, I just uploaded a review of a WHOLE CASE of 1973 DoP Food packet, Survival, Abandon Ship on Youtube and here is the link if you wanna check it out!

I even smoke a 42 year old Pall Mall. I must be crazy. :D

As I'm catching up on older post, my apologies for very late response/questions... this one is for steve1989 since I've witness his rare smokes... why were cigarettes a mainstay in the early days of survival rations?.. very historical/interesting thread, thanks.

mahalo

Hey Mahalo and BTemple! :)

First off to Mahalo, very good question!

You know, cigarettes were such a staple addiction back throughout the 20th century in the U.S. - in the 40's and 50's for example, tobacco had no surgeon general warning - people knew it wasn't healthy, but the denial and lack of medical understanding was universal.

So since such a large percentage of individuals as a whole were nicotine addicts - soldiers were no different. And in a survival situation out on a raft in the middle of the ocean or out stuck on an island in the pacific.. one extra thing that is potentially detrimental is nicotine withdrawal.

A soldier having nicotine withdrawal will have risk of headaches, nausea and intestinal cramping leading to vomiting and fluid/electrolyte loss, difficulty focusing on tasks, irritable to others, increased sweating, depression, etc.

And to BTemple's absolutely correct addition of, it was simply a morale boost. You are in a survival situation - imagine how nice it would be to take a moment to gather your thoughts and have a relaxing smoke? Also good point - they are like natural punk sticks! (those are the weird slow burning things you use to light fireworks with)

Also, if nearby a village a soldier could use tobacco as trade to the locals. Perhaps a little 4 pack of Camels and 4 pack of Phillip Morris could land a non-smoking sailor or pilot a place to stay for refuge until the proper help can arrive and extract the soldier. Also there are survival kits out there that had gold coins as universal currency essentially for that very same reason. Or to perhaps trade for food, water, medicine, or a guide to some safe refuge.

So in a nut shell, the cigarettes had multi-purpose reasons for being in Survival Rations, and I feel it is a shame tobacco is no longer included in any.

Thanks so much guys for reading my long rambling reply. :)

alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Post by alohakid » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:32 am

Thank you steve1989 & BTemple for the very informative responses... extremely fascinating subject... thanks for the mini "history" lessons.

mahalo

TomBeast2000

Post by TomBeast2000 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:37 pm

Steve1989 do you know if any monthly subscription boxes that send out MREs? I'm just curious and think it's a great idea and would love to subscribe to one of there are any.