Food Packet, Survival, Abandon Ship

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.

Would you have eaten the black fruit bar?

Would you have eaten the black fruit bar?
40%
Would you have tossed it?
35%
Would you have left it outside to see if any animals would eat it?
9%
Would you have kept it sealed even though it was sticky and.. yuck!
16%

Total votes: 43

steve1989
eBay name: -

Food Packet, Survival, Abandon Ship

Post by steve1989 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:08 am

Ok, this is another neat one. I have 2 of these in my collection, so I decided to do a review on one and keep the other up on one of my displays.

This is a review on the on on the right. The UN-labeled white beige canvas packaging.

Jelly bar is fully edible, they hold up literally forever (as long as they stay dry and are not contaminated by other items in a ration that have gone heavily rancid).. I've eaten maybe 5 or 6 of them so far but this one goes into my collection.
Fruit bar looked terrible.. but I still touched by tongue to it a couple times to taste it. Tasted of prunes and was sweet.. still tasted edible and smelled fine but because of the appearance I couldn't bring myself to eat it. Sorry guys!
The abandon ship food tablets have pyridoxine hydrochloride (B-6) in them.. and that stuff goes bad after 20 years max and this was no exception. Smelled and tasted like old vitamins. A no go, unfortunately.
The gum goes on my display.
The matches still strike 100% and also go on my display.

Hope you folks like the pictures! :)

I gathered some detailed information on this Ration.. here is that specific info: By Institute of Medicine (U.S.). Committee on Military Nutrition Research, Richard T. Travis

The purpose of the Food Packet, Survival, Abandon Ship is to sustain life until rescue or until other food is available. It is supplied to the life saving craft aboard ships for survivors who have abandoned ship. Experience with ocean disasters has shown other supplies, such as life saving equipment and drinking water, to be more critical for surviving than food.

As currently specified, the Food Packet, Survival, Abandon Ship consists of 2 starch jelly bars, four mint tablets, chewing gum, and matches, and is sealed in a waterproof bag. 15 food packets and a cigarette packet are packaged in a carton and 8 cartons are packed in a shipping case.

Each packet provides 475 calories. It is issued upon the basis of 1 packet per man, per day. The components have maximum stability in storage for on-deck craft under all climatic conditions. In fact, since the Navy has indicated that this food must be stable at 140 degrees Fahrenheit (60 degrees Celsius) for one month, even the starch jelly bar component must be specifically formulated. Canned water in limited quantities or water making equipment is provided on the life saving craft.

Food Packets per carton: 15
Carton/case: 8
Weight/Case: 48lbs
Weight/Carton: 5.75 lbs
Weight/Food Packet: 5.2 oz
Cube/Case: 1.36 Cubic Feet
Cube/Carton: 0.16 Cubic Feet
Calories/Food Packet: Approximately 475 Calories
Specification: MIL-F-16895
NSN: 8970-00-299-1395
Attachments
DSCN1004.JPG
The one on the right is the one we're reviewing. The one on the left is what most likely replaced the one on the right in the early 90's. There may have been others in between these two specific DoP's.
DSCN1005.JPG
DSCN1008.JPG
DSCN1010.JPG
DSCN1019.JPG
I love old-school Jelly Bars.. but this one goes on my display.
DSCN1020.JPG
The Fruit Bar has turned black! I touched my tongue to it.. it was still sweet & seemed normal.. but I still couldn't bring myself to actually consume any of this black fruit bar.. I think it was still sortof edible though.. maybe?
DSCN1022.JPG
DSCN1023.JPG
Last edited by steve1989 on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve1989

Re: Food Packet, Survival, Abandon Ship

Post by steve1989 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:21 am

More pics!

Also, a bonus feature.. the 1992 Food Packet!

Ever wonder what was in these? Now you know.. now keep yours sealed, for Pete's sake!! :P :shock: :D 8)
Attachments
DSCN1025.JPG
Ever wonder what was in one of these..? Now you know.. Now keep yours sealed for God's sake!!
DSCN1027.JPG
DSCN1028.JPG
Old tablets on right newer charms on the left
DSCN1030.JPG
DSCN1007.JPG
DSCN1016.JPG
DSCN1018.JPG
DSCN1017.JPG

housil

Post by housil » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:28 am

Thank you for sacrificing that ration and sharing that pictures with us.

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:57 pm

Hey Housil!

Thankyou so much for your support and appreciation! You & the MREinfo fellas here keep me going on wanting to find these items and present them to you all.

My mission is to find rare rations and open/eat/photograph/review - rare rations that you guys may own and have in your collections so you do not have to open yours.

I want to do this and be a pioneer in this rare, unusual and exciting hobby (and usually expensive) and also educate the folks with detailed photos and descriptions of military rations.

Oh here are some more pictures of the Food Packet, Survival, Abandon Ship!

This is one I still have sealed in my collection.. the man I got it from had 5.. he opened one and took pictures (those are the pictures here) , and sold 3 and kept 1 sealed.

This one is exactly like the description of this Ration from The Institute of Medicine (U.S.). Committee on Military Nutrition Research, Richard T. Travis

P.S. Don't worry, folks! I still have one sealed and safe.. it will never be opened and I am sorry I don't think I will part with it.. unless it involves me getting an RCW or old cigarettes.. hehehe! :wink:
Attachments
$_12.JPG
$_123.JPG
$_124.JPG
$_125.JPG
$_126.JPG
$_127.JPG
$_571.JPG
$_57.JPG
As currently specified, the Food Packet, Survival, Abandon Ship consists of 2 starch jelly bars, four mint tablets, chewing gum, and matches, and is sealed in a waterproof bag. 15 food packets and a cigarette packet are packaged in a carton and 8 cartons are packed in a shipping case.

housil

Post by housil » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:40 pm

We really appreciate this!

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:01 pm

Great pics and descriptions, I think it is really cool to see these rare "rations" opened up.

Norton

Post by Norton » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:21 am

Great picture and I am fascinated with lifeboat and aircrew survival ration packets. This was a very detailed review and the pictures were very clear. The dye used in the black fruit bar may have just become darker as years went by.

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Post by Ruleryak » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:38 pm

I just snagged one of the older canvas pouch Abandon Ship rations and am glad to see this confirmation of what it is! I had to guess based on the contents (it was already open, but appears to be complete), but I wasn't certain.

Just in case anyone's interested to see - I have a case of the newer type (silver foil pouch) sealed that I recently photographed:
food.packet.survival.abandon.ship_-1024x539.jpg

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:10 pm

Hey ruleryak, I hear ya, it took me a little research on this one to confirm what it was. Wow! You got a nice score there acquiring that case of 16! I think I spent about 15 or 20 on just 1 of those 1992 silver pouch ones. Too cool & thank you so much for sharing!

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:23 am

Got a whole case of the 1960's one but sadly someone looted out 3 food packets AND the cigs!!

Damn, I paid a chunk for this one too.

At least you guys get a shot of the original case!

Oh well, it was still worth it!!

Enjoy the pics!

-Steve
Attachments
DSCN5480.JPG
DSCN5482.JPG
DSCN5484.JPG
DSCN5485.JPG
DSCN5486.JPG
DSCN5487.JPG
DSCN5490.JPG
DSCN5492.JPG
Comes with the little dead bugs & all! Not stored in the best of conditions.