1957 Us Coast Guard Emergency Ration Tin *Full Review*

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
rationtin440

Re: 1957 Us Coast Guard Emergency Ration Tin *Full Review*

Post by rationtin440 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:18 pm

Awesome review and pics Steve! Honestly I'd be surprised if the big chocolate ration was not fit to eat even after all these years. As Bypah mentioned this stuff was intended for use during the cold war and pretty much had an indefinite shelf life. I recall seeing some Mountain House food from the 1970s that my uncle had saved from an AT&T communications bunker on the east coast, along with MCI components and when we tasted them a couple years ago they were fine. Even the toffee discs were ok but not the crackers. It's all in the storage I guess.

luis0449
eBay name: LUIS0449

Post by luis0449 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Thanks for sharing. I have never seen one of these before.

- Luis -
Rations Reviewed: USA, spanish, french, UK, german, denmark
Rations I am interested: WWII, Vietnam era, Russia, Israel, Italy, South America Countries

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:46 pm

Hey rationtin! I just realized, your name is kindof in the title of this review! hah! :D 8)

You're probably right, that old chocolate hunk is probably no good - I think it is most likely slightly rancid - ever open an old Ration and it has the kinda fruity and oily rancid smell? Always fun!! hehe

That chocolate mass is still in my freezer - I will soon put it in a pot and bring it to a simmer for that fondue I'd mentioned.. if it's still good I am eating it!!

You know, I had old MCI B-Unit crackers from 1968 that were perfectly fresh and I ate them with my girlfriend Carol. I have pics but she doesn't want me to share. Maybe I will share them anyway one day. Heck if you want I will PM a photo to ya! (Carol if you are reading this, I hope you don't hate me.)

I just had a Chicken Stew from a LRP from 1977 (around there DoP I think 74-77) and it made me feel kinda off.. so it is all in the storage. I say the ideal is a pitch black cool and dry place preferably 60 degrees Fahrenheit or so.

Thankyou Luis for your support! It makes me want to open, eat & photograph another one of my old Rations to share with you great folks!

Thankyou, as always, for the feedback and sharing your knowledge on this sorta thing. You, Kman, Bypah, dirbag, Housil, Ruleryak, Cavguy, norge, Mreheater, GermanEPA, Big_Jo, Treesuit, Laughing_Man, Ccilm94, Dangerous_Dave, DirtyDave, LogDayFreshHots and so many others that I feel dumb forgetting off the top of my head at the moment are such an invaluable part of the information collaborated on all these varieties of Military Rations. I have for years studied and been mystified by this whole subject and I forever will!
It only makes an already amazing thing better when great folks such as you and the rest of the folks here and luis0449 I am sorry I didn't mention you either! Or Norton, Ratatoo, RockyRaab, or the fellas on YouTube like Gundog, Gschultz, KiwiDude, Aldurin Hearth, and No East Too Far.

Heck - I am so grateful to companies like Natick Labs for getting the 4 billion funding from the Govt in the 60's to make these long shelf life foods.

meo

Post by meo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:07 am

As Steve Posted his Videoreview of the newer Tin . I would like to post some information on this ration and Ash Jon Corporation.

Ash Jon corporation was Packaging mostly Drinking Water for other Companies (namely the Globe Equipment Corp) at least from 1951 till 1964 and residents 1975 at 257 Waterstreet Brooklyn, NY. However dating these Cans is quite hard as there is no Datecode what so ever but evidentes.

As these Cans all seems to have the same Approval Number it's simply luck to get the right timed one. while these Approvalnumers shows the last approval, it doesn't shows the whole history (and sorry Steve that i did this mistake at youtube). We can say on the other hand that the USCG Approved these Cans (still under drinking water btw. but thats on another hand) till 1975. Since there are some very typical items in these cans we can specify the age more. as for the Blue Hershey one I think Steve is correct, but for the better looking can (the one he opens in the video) I can be more precise.

At first the only difference on on the outside (beside the Name, but later on that): the S.S. United States Logo. These indicates that the ration must be brought on board as a souvenir. And we can dig up the history of the ship. The SS United States is a luxury passenger liner built in 1952 and operated uninterrupted in transatlantic passenger service until 1969.

Next up is the Hersheybars: in the newer one Steve found a Hershey Tropical Bar with red lettering (supposed to be used from 1957 till 1969) and according to Hershey they switched the Label again in 1970.

Finally there is the Lettering of the Company-name on the Can: Written with a minus between the Ash and Jon this is only on the newer one and there is another product of Ash Jon with the Name that way. The "Ash - Jon Shelter and Evacuation five day combination Pack" Imagewhile it is not very good to see there is another Approval Number (160.026/27/2) these is the Number for Globe Equipments Water that Ash Jon packaged. As these Number where a revision by an earlier one these Number startet as of May 6, 1959 so the Ration is at least in the 60s range. I would say that 1969 is very plausible.

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:08 am

About to get to bed, but I wanted to say - Meo, this is the most detailed and comprehensive information found on this Ration yet. Thank you so so much!

Also, this shows this Ration may as a matter of fact be a commercial civilian survival Ration and not actual Coast Guard like I'd originally thought!

BlackDogBob

Post by BlackDogBob » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:50 pm

Awesome review! How did the fondue turn out?
Have German,Russian,Canadian,Lithuanian,Dutch, Israeli,Spanish,HDRs,LRPs,French,US RCWs,FSRs,Italian,Croatian, Polish,Aussie, Czech, Malaysian, Swedish, Australian and Norwegian Arctics.