Beef Taco TOTM

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
RockyRaab

Beef Taco TOTM

Post by RockyRaab » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:48 am

I enjoyed another day fishing and had a Beef Taco TOTM along. This TOTM was a Wornick product, produced in 2014. It contained the entree, red pepper packet, one of the new paper sleeves instead of a box, crackers, lemon-lime drink mix, patriotic sugar cookies, sliced cranberries, and the usual acc pack and heater. Two notable observations: this TOTM did not have the usual M&Ms, and the cranberries are not the osmotic kind, but truly sliced and dried.

The entree is a lot like an all-meat chili, with the same chili flavor and texture in a tomato sauce. It is thick and flavorful by itself. I added the red pepper packet and crumbled up crackers to the heated entree pouch for a very filling and satisfying lunch.

As a side note, I also have a Beef Taco TOTM from Sopako and it will be interesting to see if there is any difference in contents or flavor profile.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

rattattoo

Re: Beef Taco TOTM

Post by rattattoo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:50 pm

RR- is there anything "taco-like" about it? Or is this just taco meat?
I always think of "tacos" as being in a cornmeal shell and having some additives...

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:07 am

It's just taco meat in the TOTM. The full MRE (menu 6) comes with soft tortillas. I elected to crush the crackers and mix that in, but I could have just spooned the meat onto them for a more "taco-like" experience. A packet of cheese would be great, but neither the MRE nor TOTM comes with it. (What are these maroons thinking?)
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

elandil

Post by elandil » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:49 pm

RockyRaab wrote: A packet of cheese would be great, but neither the MRE nor TOTM comes with it. (What are these maroons thinking?)
I believe that you answered your own question. Maroons and thinking do not go together. :lol: