Meatball Marinara TOTM

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
RockyRaab

Meatball Marinara TOTM

Post by RockyRaab » Fri May 16, 2014 10:16 am

For my next installment of "Fishing Trip TOTM" reviews, I had Meatballs w/ Marinara Sauce yesterday. As usual, I was in my kayak and thus no photos. The bag came with the entree, FRH, crackers, raisins, lemon/lime drink mix, and peanut M&Ms. Included also was a Tabasco packet. After heating the entree, I mixed in the Tabasco and the crackers, well crumbled. There was enough sauce that adding the crackers as thickener was wise. The meatballs were grape-size and firm; nicely browned. Two meatballs would fill the spoon but I usually opted to scoop out just one plus sauce per bite.

Those who don't like spicy foods would be quite content with this entree minus the Tabasco. The meatballs were beefy with a firm texture and the sauce had a nice tomato tang. The sauce was thinner than what many Italian cooks would make, but wasn't at all watery, either. The crumbled crackers made it easy to get every last drop - which I was eager to do.

The other items are well-known so no need to cover them here. All in all, another winner meal.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

rattattoo

Re: Meatball Marinara TOTM

Post by rattattoo » Fri May 16, 2014 5:34 pm

Thanks for the wrap-up. I have a couple of these that are getting outdated and I need to use them up.
Maybe I can put up up some sort of little pouch of garlic butter spread for a package of the white snack bread. I have an s-pile of those to use up. Make it like a gourmetty Iy-talian meal.

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Fri May 16, 2014 7:41 pm

That would be outstanding. Make up a ziploc of Parmesan while you're at it. Even a packet of MRE Cheeze-Whiz would have been great on mine.

rattattoo

Post by rattattoo » Fri May 16, 2014 9:41 pm

Yeah. I really like to eat well when I'm out in the woods, even if it's just an MRE.
I need to remember that one of the great advantages of the menu page here on MRE INFO is that I can look at it and see what might be lacking in the bag, or what might just be made a bit better with some forethought before I head out. The one truly different thing about MREs in a noncombat situation IS that I can grab a ketchup packet, or, like you said, toss a little Parmesan in the corner of a baggy to "kick it up a notch".
That's an option not available to the boys out in the sandpile.

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Sat May 17, 2014 9:03 am

Indeed. I opened this one before I left and took along a peanut butter packet and extra crackers to have while the entree heated. I'll likely "field strip" my next full MRE because there's just too much in them for one meal and I can't readily snack while fishing. I save the larger menu ones for camping, where there's both time and space to enjoy a whole one.