1980 LRP - Beef With Rice - Full Review

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
steve1989
eBay name: -

Re: 1980 LRP - Beef With Rice - Full Review

Post by steve1989 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:21 pm

dirtbag wrote:Have you got a chili and beans LRP?

I tried to eat one, back in 1972, it was like gravel... :cry:

Hahah! :lol:

Yessir I've had one but I lost the Hard Drive it was on.

I wish I'd still had the photos - it was called Chili Con Carne, and it was from 1977.
I'd lost most of my 2012 ration photo archives and that was one of them, it was savory and tasted okay except the beans would not re-hydrate! I was crunching on the thing throughout and the beef was really chewy. Not like Chili & Beans from a recent 1998 RCW that I'd had - old-school Chili Con Carne dehydrated was a flawed entree with re-hydration issues.
I'd also gotten cocoa, and a vanilla fudge bar (even the cocoa was spoiled). It was a pretty bad ration. :( :oops: :lol:

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:38 am

What is interesting to see is back in the 80's and earlier most of the foods and elements of the rations where made for the military in the starndard "green, brown, white and black" label markings. Everything very "neutral" military style. :wink:
After the 90's and now we see a lot of "brands" and market foods in the rations. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Live long and prosper..."

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:04 pm

Bypah wrote:What is interesting to see is back in the 80's and earlier most of the foods and elements of the rations where made for the military in the starndard "green, brown, white and black" label markings. Everything very "neutral" military style. :wink:
After the 90's and now we see a lot of "brands" and market foods in the rations. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good point, Bypah! The packaging seemed more tactically sound, in my opinion for concealment purposes due to those neutral colors.
Plus, older Mre's packaging is always more alluring to me (I know I'm not the only one!).
It all had that official Govt. feel to it - for example the titles like one from a Rafco RCW item titled: Candy, Chocolate Bar With Toffee Enriched, Sweet Type 7, Style 1. It always gives me a tickle when I think of that title for a candy bar! :lol: