Cheese Tortellini TOTM

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
RockyRaab

Cheese Tortellini TOTM

Post by RockyRaab » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:11 am

Had another TOTM while fishing the other day. This one featured the cheese tortellini entree, and the pack date was 3126.

The pack contained the entree, French Vanilla Cappuccino, Raspberry applesauce, pretzel sticks, patriotic cookies, M&Ms, plus the usual FRH and accessory pack. These are supposed to contain fewer items and calories than a full MRE, but the calorie count on this unit totaled almost 1200 - not much reduction from the usual 1400 or so, IMO.

I heated the entree and cappuccino together in the FRH. It was a snug fit, but worked fine. While that heated, I had the pretzels. The cheese tortellini was a bit bland but good. The sauce was reminiscent of Chef Boyardee and the tortellinis were firm and well filled with cheese. I added a packet of hot sauce (not included with this meal, but I always carry some) and that improved the flavor immensely. I was very pleasantly surprised by the cappuccino; it was closer to hot chocolate than coffee and was quite sweet and creamy. I added the coffee powder from the accessory packet and that made it even better. At that point, I was pleasantly full.

I already knew that the raspberry applesauce would be extremely sweet. That, the cookies and the M&Ms total 600 calories and my waistline did not need that much extra input so I saved those three items as snacks for another day.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Name_not_found

Re: Cheese Tortellini TOTM

Post by Name_not_found » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks for the review good job

That sounds pretty good

(needs pics :))
Ration Reviews: USA, Australia, Canada, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Spain, Russia, Lithuania
Wish List: Rations from anywhere I haven't reviewed yet!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlQPi ... kQXu87uUCA

rationtin440

Re: Cheese Tortellini TOTM

Post by rationtin440 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:03 pm

Very good review RockyRaab! The stuff that troops are getting now-a-days certainly is better than what was around when I first enlisted in the national guard. Back then with the 1979 and 1980 mfg. MCIs that we were still getting in 1987-88, if you wanted flavored coffee, it was the older cocoa beverage powder and the caked up sanka coffee packets that did not always mix very well for some reason. And of course they did not usually come in the same MCI menu. It was like christmas when we started getting the brown pouch MREs, around the same time we turned in our ODs and got issued camo BDUs! :D