2013 TOTM Review

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
RockyRaab

2013 TOTM Review

Post by RockyRaab » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:38 pm

Yesterday I went fishing - half for the fishing and half to enjoy a TOTM meal. Fishing was okay; the beef stew TOTM was better.

This was a 2013 issue TOTM meal I purchased at my local commissary (I'm a USAF retiree). The Training Meal's reduced contents included the entree, FRH, Crackers, Peanut Butter, Drink Base, Applesauce with Raspberry puree, M&Ms, and an abbreviated Accessory Packet (no matches, toilet paper, coffee, creamer, sugar, or gum).

Heated as per usual, the beef stew is best described as "Dinty MRE." If you like the beef stew that Dinty Moore makes, you'll like the MRE version even better. I think the meat chunks were actually larger and the stew itself less salty than the canned variety. The vegetables were recognizable and had good texture. I added some of the salt and pepper, which aided the flavor even more. In short, I liked the entree a lot. This beef stew would get passing grades if it were secretly served in a diner.

The raspberry applesauce was a bit sweet for me, but very good. I don't generally crave sweets, but this hit the spot. There's nothing much new I can add to the standard crackers, peanut butter and drink mix - or the M&Ms, obviously. All exactly as you'd expect if you've eaten many MREs.

Edit: Thanks for moving this to the correct forum. What a maroon....LOL!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

mreheater72

Re: 2013 TOTM Review

Post by mreheater72 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Thank you for your nice review :D ! BEEF STEW is a very fine entree, evidence for that is that BEEF STEW is the only one that is part of MREs with no break since MRE I (1981) :D . The quality of that main dish changed during the years, sometimes they used "normal" meat :D , sometimes it was pressed :( .

TOTMs are available at commissaries :o ?

So long mreheater72
"QUIDQUID AGIS PRUDENTER AGAS ET RESPICE FINEM"

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Post by Ruleryak » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:08 pm

Hey heater, thanks for teaching me something new! I hadn't realized that the Beef Stew had made it through without any gaps. Too bad Meatballs in BBQ Sauce didn't make it anywhere near as long - always like that one more than the Beef Stew. :mrgreen:

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:17 am

Heater, my commissary (Hill AFB, Utah) sells both MREs and TOTMs either singly or by the case. Choice is a bit random, as when they get low on singles they just open a case or two and put those out. The "best" ones go immediately, of course. So if you shop at the wrong time, you may find few meals out, and they'll all be the "runt of the litter". Usually the vegetarian choices go last. (If folks knew how good the ratatouille is - or WHAT it is - that might be different!)
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Yowie

Post by Yowie » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:12 am

Great review mate :D
hope you caught a fish

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:19 pm

RockyRaab wrote:Heater, my commissary (Hill AFB, Utah) sells both MREs and TOTMs either singly or by the case…
That is amazing :o ! Which persons can buy in commissaries? Only soldiers or also "normal" civilians?

I´m not sure whether you can by EPAs officially in Germany!? Perhaps housil knows that (Olli, any idea?)

housil

Post by housil » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:08 pm

mreheater72 wrote: I´m not sure whether you can by EPAs officially in Germany!? Perhaps housil knows that (Olli, any idea?)
You could back in the "good old days" at the StOV, that where I bought my 10 cases back in 1991 for DM5 per EPa.
Nowadays they don´t sale them anymore (I have sent a request to the Verpflegungsamt) due to their own needs in Afghanistan.

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:29 pm

housil wrote:
mreheater72 wrote: I´m not sure whether you can by EPAs officially in Germany!? Perhaps housil knows that (Olli, any idea?)
You could back in the "good old days" at the StOV, that where I bought my 10 cases back in 1991 for DM5 per EPa.
Nowadays they don´t sale them anymore (I have sent a request to the Verpflegungsamt) due to their own needs in Afghanistan.
Thanks for Information Olli :D !

I remember a open "Open house day" (I guess it was 1985 or 1986) at the Bundeswehr Barracks in Wunsiedel, Germany. Here they sold EPAs for 5,83 DM (I still know the price today because it was so funny). In those days I bought two of them.

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Which persons can buy in commissaries
You have to be authorized to purchase items at the base commissary, your DOD ID card lets them know if you are authorized, sometimes there is a letter too that is accepted. Anyone can enter, but you are supposed to be authorized to purchase, and the tellers are supposed to check your ID before you can purchase anything.

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:51 pm

cavguy wrote:
Which persons can buy in commissaries
You have to be authorized to purchase items at the base commissary, your DOD ID card lets them know if you are authorized, sometimes there is a letter too that is accepted. Anyone can enter, but you are supposed to be authorized to purchase, and the tellers are supposed to check your ID before you can purchase anything.
cavguy, thanks for information :D !