1980 Production LRP - Chicken & Rice - Full Review!

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
steve1989
eBay name: -

1980 Production LRP - Chicken & Rice - Full Review!

Post by steve1989 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Hello again, I want to first thank everyone that posts any information about Rations. You are contributors to a very interesting and un-tapped hobby and historical reference.

Here is one of my many new reviews that I will be posting - after a long gestation period of some very interesting U.S. ration reviews I have this as my re-introduction into this obscure and sometimes seemingly quite risky detailed analysis of military rations of the past.

Food Packet - Long Range Patrol - Menu 8 - Chicken and Rice

The pack is overall 20% smaller than a regular MRE. Trust me, if you saw one in person - it would be noticeably smaller looking compared to a regular U.S. MRE.

As with your usual vintage mre, the packaging is dark brown. After further investigation I ruled that this LRP was produced around September-November 1980.

When I opened the accessory packet, I naturally buried my nose in the 30 year old air immediately - as I always do with these old rations.
The smell is almost indescribable - you see, the Hydrogenated Oils along with the Cocoa and 30 years of "aging" kindof turn in a Nickel-Based "Motor-Oily" Rancidity that you will only 100% fully understand if you actually opened one of these and smelled one for yourself.

I have been for the last several years anticipated the day I would enjoy the experience of testing an old LRP " "Fudge Bar" Dessert.
I finally get this chance - and I gotta say it was somewhat disappointing.

The Chocolate Fudge Bar had that strange rancid oil W/ cheap chocolate smell.... naturally I like the Savage I am, still bit into it - I ingested 2 small bites and got the full experience of rancid hydrogenated oils and old sorbitol - they put that Sorbitol in there to keep you from getting constipated by the way - it's a sugar alcohol, but it was originally designed as a baby laxative back in the day.
I threw it out after giving it a solid chance - not without solid photo's, though...!

The hot chocolate from these old LRP's are incredible! This one in particular tasted better than any other ration cocoa I've ever had! And that's saying alot!
What an incredible experience! 32 year old Hot Chocolate - and it was the best I've ever had.

You get 2 Coffee's in these LRP's... it's the old-school Type 1 with ascorbic acid as a preservative. You can taste the ascorbic in it.. it's noticeable, indeed. I split the sugar between the 2 and drank 1 full coffee - it was not enjoyable I must say. But I champed it out anyways because I hate wasting rations.
These old Type 1 coffees fascinate me - they remind me of the smell like an office break room from 20 years ago. Just a different smell - I cannot explain it.

The Creamer was still intact and did not turn into one solid mass like they usually do within 25-30 years time. Other than that it was like any other creamer.

There was no interdental stimulator in the packet. This applies for any other time I open an old ration accessory packet the Interdental Stimulator is never there! Robbery, I say! heh

The Chicken & Rice was perfectly intact - no pinholes or anything that damaged it in any way after all these years.

As for the taste test - I tear it open and it proceeds to to the vacuum 'hiss' that we all so satisfyingly love to hear when opening our Rations.
Add the allotted amount of hot water and you immediately smell the freshly sealed in time chicken & rice come to life, again.

The chicken was slightly chewy - alot of dark meat. It tasted very good, though and was very moist and flavorful. If I were on a long Recon Patrol out in the field ... well I would certainly enjoy the portability of this very practical and tasty little ration.

Betty (My old dog) and I ate it. I ate half, and she had the rest. 3 weeks later writing this review and she's by my feet now and we are A-Ok!

It was exciting! I enjoyed the ration and making this Review.

Thankyou. -Steve
Attachments
DSCN7993.JPG
DSCN7990.JPG
DSCN7988.JPG
DSCN7987.JPG
DSCN7986.JPG
DSCN7985.JPG
DSCN7984.JPG
DSCN7982.JPG
Air Tight Seal - Just Some Unknown White Stains On Front Packaging

steve1989

Re: 1980 Production LRP - Chicken & Rice - Full Review!

Post by steve1989 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:42 pm

More Pics
Attachments
DSCN8002.JPG
DSCN8001.JPG
DSCN8000.JPG
DSCN7999.JPG
DSCN7998.JPG
DSCN7997.JPG
DSCN7996.JPG
DSCN7995.JPG

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:45 pm

1 more!
Attachments
DSCN8003.JPG

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:21 pm

Great review! Shame about the fudge too, it looks so edible, but tasted so evil I guess...

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Thanks, Cavguy! Yeah, man, the Fudge Bar looks perfect, doesn't it? Oh boy, it sure was wrong after 32 years, though. Tasted like a motor-oil and plastic flavored cookie! Texture was absolutely perfect when I bit it, but the taste was just bad! heheh

norge

Post by norge » Wed May 01, 2013 2:30 am

very very nice review :D :D
and cool pictures of the ration :D

to bad with the chocolate fudge,but i remember the
taste like the way you wrote even when fresh :lol:

cheers ken

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Post by Ruleryak » Wed May 01, 2013 11:15 am

Great review!
steve1989 wrote:There was no interdental stimulator in the packet. This applies for any other time I open an old ration accessory packet the Interdental Stimulator is never there! Robbery, I say! heh
I've had this happen more often than not as well it seems. Oh, and one of the few I've actually had appear in the package was inadvertently used by my boss. I had received the ration in the mail at work, opened it to show him and then he got a call so I sat back at my desk and got back to work. Totally absent minded, he picked up the interdental stimulator and used it as a tootpick :x When he realized it he apologized profusely, but it was too late :roll:

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Fri May 03, 2013 1:52 pm

steve1989, again thank you for very much for your fascinating review of an interesting vintage US ration :D !
steve1989 wrote:…After further investigation I ruled that this LRP was produced around September-November 1980…

That is very interesting! From with source did you find out that exact DoP? Are there any date codes on the ration contents?
steve1989 wrote:…The Chocolate Fudge Bar had that strange rancid oil W/ cheap chocolate smell.... naturally I like the Savage I am, still bit into it - I ingested 2 small bites and got the full experience of rancid hydrogenated oils and old sorbitol…
I made the same experience some years ago, here with a “BROWNIE, CHOCOLATE COVERED”. It looked great, but the smell and taste was absolutely horrible :( !
steve1989 wrote:…The hot chocolate from these old LRP's are incredible! This one in particular tasted better than any other ration cocoa I've ever had! And that's saying alot!
What an incredible experience! 32 year old Hot Chocolate - and it was the best I've ever had…
That is surprising :o . The same kind of cocoa packed in Kraft Paper was content of late B-2 Unit MCI cans, these hot chocolate tends to get rancid… :(
steve1989 wrote:…The Chicken & Rice was perfectly intact - no pinholes or anything that damaged it in any way after all these years.

As for the taste test - I tear it open and it proceeds to to the vacuum 'hiss' that we all so satisfyingly love to hear when opening our Rations.
Add the allotted amount of hot water and you immediately smell the freshly sealed in time chicken & rice come to life, again.

The chicken was slightly chewy - alot of dark meat. It tasted very good, though and was very moist and flavorful. If I were on a long Recon Patrol out in the field ... well I would certainly enjoy the portability of this very practical and tasty little ration.

Betty (My old dog) and I ate it. I ate half, and she had the rest. 3 weeks later writing this review and she's by my feet now and we are A-Ok!...
Good to here that all is ok with you and your dog after eating the entrée :) . But it is freezedried, what should happen to it except loosing taste? Some times ago I ate some MRE freezedried STRAWBERRIES from the early Eighties, they tasted perfect :D 8) .

Again thanks a lot for that great review 8) , I hope we will see some more akin ones the next weeks… :wink:

So long mreheater72
"QUIDQUID AGIS PRUDENTER AGAS ET RESPICE FINEM"