FOOD PACKET SURVIVAL GENERAL PURPOSE Date Packed 9125

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
hOMEr_jAy

Re: FOOD PACKET SURVIVAL GENERAL PURPOSE Date Packed 9125

Post by hOMEr_jAy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:59 pm

Really nice review! It´s really cool to see how many calories you can get in such a small package!
I still have one question, though. What exactly are "wintergreen tablets"? Some sort of "Vivil" peppermint dragees you can buy in Germany? And why were they added to the food packet?

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:26 pm

hOMEr_jAy wrote:…I still have one question, though. What exactly are "wintergreen tablets"? Some sort of "Vivil" peppermint dragees you can buy in Germany? And why were they added to the food packet?
hOMEr_jAy, that are really good questions, but I unfortunately can´t answer them in an reasonable way :) .

You are right, the WINTERGREEN TABLETS are akin to the German “Vivil” peppermint candy, but in contrast they are flavored with extracts of the wintergreen plant. Here is the Wikipedia link to WINTERGREEN:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wintergreen

Perhaps that explains the purpose for adding the tablets to the food packet :?: .

So long mreheater72
"QUIDQUID AGIS PRUDENTER AGAS ET RESPICE FINEM"

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:31 pm

I would think they're added for the calories, but something sweet is good for morale too!
If you are in a situation where you have to eat these rations, I think morale would be a bit low...
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

norge

Post by norge » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:42 pm

the WINTERGREEN TABLETS contain dextrose sugar,and dextrose taste pretty blend
so if you add like peppermint to it its better to eat and you fell more home :mrgreen:
and not in a jungle afther your jet crashed :wink:

cheers ken

hOMEr_jAy

Post by hOMEr_jAy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:10 pm

Thanks for the explanations, guys! Seems like that Wintergreen plant is some sort of cure-all and the tablets are both a "morale safer" and healthy. Nice to learn something new, I didn´t even knew that there is such a thing as the Wintergreen plant!

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:21 pm

Homer Jay,

Also the winter green aroma is often used in a oil/liquid form for aroma therapy. It has something to do with improving the mental health or fighting off depression. I don't know how accurate that is but if you think about it aroma can affect the mental well being a person too. Same goes for peppermint oil.

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:20 am

Treesuit wrote: Also the winter green aroma is often used in a oil/liquid form for aroma therapy. It has something to do with improving the mental health or fighting off depression. I don't know how accurate that is but if you think about it aroma can affect the mental well being a person too. Same goes for peppermint oil.
so now I know why the give too much peppermint sticks during winter time. To improve the mental health during cold months due to the lack of sunshine??? :?: :idea: :wink:
"Live long and prosper..."

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:33 am

Try biting (crunching) one in a dark room!
Sparks!!!
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2048858
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO