Maple Muffin Top

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
Treesuit

Maple Muffin Top

Post by Treesuit » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:50 pm

Hey everyone what I have for your review is the latest in MRE breakfast entree's. I had the chance to try out the newest 2010 menu item: Maple Muffin Top. I was kind of skeptical at first, the idea of a muffin in a MRE wasn't really appealing in my mind but I had to try it just see what the outcome would be. That and it's been awhile since somebody did a food review, so what the heck. :)

So, soon as I opened the package I got a whiff of maple flavoring. Okay good start so far. Then I noticed the muffin itself had been smushed a little in the package giving it a flatter apperance. I slid most of it out and the other part stayed inside so most came out in crumbles. I tried a few small pieces and the flavour of maple is there the only problem is that it only stays around for 2 seconds before going flat. The appearance is just like some of the other muffin tops and the texture, consistancy, and taste is similar to a pound cake except your getting a maple flavour cake in a breakfast entree.

This item is a bit smaller than a pound cake but the same size as the biscut. If this wasn't so smashed down I'd say it might be more appealing at first glance but such is the case. Okay, overall the item was real eye opener. It changed my mind real quickly and it was a really good item have especially paired with some Starbucks Via columbian coffee. Very nice, indeed.

One suggestion I thought of was to put part of it on a plate and slab some real butter on it and send into the microwave for 15 seconds. When it came out it had the aroma and then the flavour of fresh, hot of the griddle pancakes. :D Minus the syrup of course, but still the improved addition was unbelievable. If you have one try it that way....... what a difference!
Attachments
IMGP0817.JPG
IMGP0819.JPG
procudtion date 2010
IMGP0820.JPG
as it came out of the package
IMGP0822.JPG
smashed a little

Treesuit

Re: Maple Muffin Top

Post by Treesuit » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:08 pm

Well guys here I am again with an update to the Maple Muffin Top. This time with the new Maple Syrup packet that is in one of the new MRE's.

I figure this would be a good chance to see what the new shelf stable syrup would be like. Well, first I put the muffin top in a bowl and slabbed some real butter on top then opened the syrup.

What came out was syrup but very thin and quick. I tried a taste before sending this into the microwave, the syrup was very very sweet and had a weak consistency to it. So after a minute I took it out and it did smell absolutely wonderful. Very strong maple syrup smell. Unfortunately, the taste was completely different. The syrup had changed to a highly sugary taste and completely masked the taste of the muffin top. Not only that but the syrup itself did not last long. Like gone in 5 seconds, :shock: .

Bottom line: not too bad. If I had to have this entree I'd have it warmed up at least like I did in this review along with some hot coffee at home. I can't possibly imagine being in the field and having these two cold or try to warm both up in a FRH. It would probably be too much mess and trouble and not perhaps not as satisfying. :?
Attachments
IMGP0982.JPG
This is what it looks like with butter and the syrup packet
IMGP0981.JPG
Both before going into the microwave