Product Recall?

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
housil

Re: Product Recall?

Post by housil » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:54 pm

LogDayFreshHots wrote: Anyway - does anyone know why thehoney was recalled? I haven't seen anyone mention that yet.

I did above.

LogDayFreshHots

Post by LogDayFreshHots » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:08 pm

housil wrote:
LogDayFreshHots wrote: Anyway - does anyone know why thehoney was recalled? I haven't seen anyone mention that yet.

I did above.
Yes you did Housil! Please forgive my oversight. :oops:

I guess they worried the mites would pass something genetically to the bees, which makes sense considering the 'Law of Transference'.

On a side note... if anyone uses olive oil please read the back of the container. The demand for olive oil has outstripped the supply and they are now mixing it with other oils like corn oil. And considering how much genetically-modified corn is now out there... might want to avoid anything that can't be proven as 100% olive oil. Especially if kids will be eating the same food.

Just a friendly warning.

Okay housil... Ive delayed the inevitable long enough... whats my punishment? :(
"FIND THE BASTARDS, THEN PILE ON" - Standing Order of Col. George S. Patton Jr., C.O. 11th ACR.

"We may find in the long run that tinned food is a deadlier weapon than the machine-gun" - George Orwell.

housil

Post by housil » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:37 pm

LogDayFreshHots wrote: whats my punishment? :(
Post some nice, military + food related pictures :wink:

LogDayFreshHots

Post by LogDayFreshHots » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:30 pm

housil wrote:
LogDayFreshHots wrote: whats my punishment? :(
Post some nice, military + food related pictures :wink:
Oooh... my ass is stinging! :cry:

I will post pics of what I have just as soon as I return home.... if only somebody would tell me when that will be.
"FIND THE BASTARDS, THEN PILE ON" - Standing Order of Col. George S. Patton Jr., C.O. 11th ACR.

"We may find in the long run that tinned food is a deadlier weapon than the machine-gun" - George Orwell.

fdsman

Post by fdsman » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:13 pm

LogDayFreshHots wrote:
fdsman... what gives!? I noticed on the main pouch it said the honey is not for human consumption and isn't supposed to be given away? Then why include it? Was the warning put on after something was discovered in the honey rather than tearing the meals open to remove the pouches?

You know, Ive seen some comments about MREJap possibly being a little more than crazy for consuming certain things. I tell ya. If anyone has seen some of the game shows or the ways in which cookware is 'shamed' by certain 'adult acts' I have to be really honest here in saying that I believe MREJap may actually just be the wisest, most mentally-stable person in Japan!

Anyway - does anyone know why the honey was recalled? I haven't seen anyone mention that yet. I noticed that pack in the video said 'Pure' honey. Whats the honey allergy? I forget. Isn't naturally-occurring yeast or something? Oh well. If MREJap survived than maybe there is hope for the rest of humanity....
wikipedia wrote: Honey gets its sweetness from the monosaccharides fructose and glucose and has approximately the same relative sweetness as that of granulated sugar. It has attractive chemical properties for baking, and a distinctive flavor which leads some people to prefer it over sugar and other sweeteners. Most micro-organisms do not grow in honey because of its low water activity of 0.6. However, honey sometimes contains dormant endospores of the bacterium Clostridium botulinum, which can be dangerous to infants as the endospores can transform into toxin-producing bacteria in the infant's immature intestinal tract, leading to illness and even death

That's why. However I don't see why adults couldn't consume it given that we have developed immune systems, although if you've never been exposed to Clostridium botulinum then you might have the same immune response to it as an infant.

Probably most likely a legality thing the military and food packaging company has to put on to cover their asses.

Also they didn't remove every honey package because of the sheer volume these things are created in. It was for whatever reason more economical and cheaper to slap a neon green label telling you not to eat the honey on the packages than to physically remove each one.

Also regarding your original question about the sandwiches being recalled, nothing shows up when I search for Bridgford sandwich recall. Bridgford btw is the company that produces them for commercial and military usage.

biscuits brown

Post by biscuits brown » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:39 pm

One product in the UK 24hr ratpack that probably would have been recalled if it was a US product was the 1998-2004 canned cheese.
Cheese possessed!
It goes off after about 18 months max, while the canned ham or turkey usually is good after 4 years. I had a turkey and herb a few months back from 2003, it was superb, with a baguette. :D

Ollie I know that film of oil that forms in the turkey paste, i usually mix it back in, and it absorbs ok. But yours smelt bad too...

housil

Post by housil » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:57 am

biscuits brown wrote:
Ollie I know that film of oil that forms in the turkey paste, i usually mix it back in, and it absorbs ok. But yours smelt bad too...
Ja, it had a real "suspicious" smelling :shock:

LogDayFreshHots

Post by LogDayFreshHots » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:30 am

fdsman...

Thats what Im thinking about the honey and the warning sticker. If they order all those rations recalled you then have to find a place to rip everything open just to get the honey and repack everything. At least throwing a sticker on them and releasing them to the marker means they get the potentially questionable stock out of the supply chain and they might get a little money back for it.

I tried digging around for the information I thought mentioned the sandwiches being recalled but I couldn't find it either. Im thinking that a site I ran across may have been trying to say some of their components were removed from meals that contained recalled products, but the products they were listing weren't on the recall list. So its probably a mix-up on my part. Hence the reason I was curious at whether or not anyone else had heard anything about sandwich recalls? If not then munch away....

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:37 pm

The honey recall was due to Botulism...
And it was easier to slap on a warning sticker, than to open the rations, remove the honey and then reseal...
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

MrFahrenheit
eBay name: Nomad2k3

Post by MrFahrenheit » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:56 pm

dirtbag wrote:The honey recall was due to Botulism...
Wouldn't bother MREJAP Im sure I saw him eat 30 year old jam on one video, his response was a slight "yuck"
The guy is indestructible, had to lol at him trying to decipher the green warning sticker only for him to then dig right into that honey.

I love his videos :D
I came, I saw, I ate some rations then fell asleep amongst the clover.