Petition for Sopacko to create a Civilian FSR?

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
hannonmc

Re: Petition for Sopacko to create a Civilian FSR?

Post by hannonmc » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:24 pm

Had some fun creating my own FSRs.

I call mine BPRs (BackPack Rations). A big thanks to Treesuit for sending me a lot of the contents!

I've included a 1 gallon ziplock bag in the packaging of each to hold the contents one the package is opened. I did, however, leave out a spoon as I always have one with me. And, all in all, one isn't really needed.

BPR-1 (3240 calories / 2.8 lbs)
BPR-1.JPG
IMG_2916.JPG
BPR-1 contents.
IMG_2917.JPG
BPR-1 vacuum packed.

BPR-2 ( 2830 calories / 2.6 lbs)
BPR-2.JPG
IMG_2919.JPG
BPR-2 contents.
IMG_2921.JPG
BPR-2 vacuum packed.
All in all, a fun experiment. Could I see myself doing this often? Probably not. It can be quite time consuming buying everything and then packaging it up. The nice thing is that you can custom pack them tho. Definitely interested in seeing the final version of BugOut Grub.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:25 pm

Now it's my turn to chime in on this subject and give my take on things. In essence, I too came up with my own FSR version. Hannonmc and I collaborated on this idea and I did help him with some of the parts of his ration. Luckily I can get some stuff rather cheap or free and pass it along to other members here. We e-mailed each other on a lot of ideas and things, but basically we wanted to offer ideas, and a final product, to the forum on what we could do to get a civilian product of the FSR.

Mine took about a week and didn't cost that much to put together other than finding a place that will package items up. To my surprise FEDEX/KINKO's does a pretty good job for not a whole lot of money. I did have to get some stuff from the epicenter but not much. So in the end I kept mine under $20.00. In my version I'm more focused on the packaging problem rather than contents. I kept the contents in the ration pretty true to form in regards to the orignal FSR's with some slight modifications.

Here are some things I ran into:

-Used the MRE INFO logo for mine. Not to be stealing anything but I did e-mail Kman and ask for permission to use the logo. Sorry in advance if I stepped over the line, Kman.
-Mine version is quite thick. Measurements came out to be 11 x 9 x 3 inches, so it's a little bulky even vaccum packed.
-Didn't put the calorie count on the outside. But did list the contents, so you know what's inside. I suspect that if your bugging out or need this in an emergency the calorie count is the last thing on your mind.
-Might take up space in your ruck or kit because so it's so bulky.
-No inner bag to put the rest of the contents into when the main wrapper in discarded.
-Used meat/seafood styrofoam trays as packing material so as to not crush the contents if they go into your ruck. The package stayed nice and tight even with the trays inside.
-Had a terrible time with WINDOWS trying to get a label made for the inside. WINDOWS does not like digital camo images. So I had to improvise.
-Lastly have to give Hannonmc a lot of credit bringing this to the forum. He deserves most of it. :D
-No FRH, beverage bag or secondary bag. Like I said I'm trying to keep this true to the original but will take those into consideration next time.

For now I'll let you look at the pictures and I welcome any advice or comments. :mrgreen: I'll still be working on another FSR and try to improve on this one.

Cheers.
Attachments
IMGP0686.JPG
All of the contents laid out before packing. Notice that the contents of mine closely mirror that of a regular FSR. There are some slight differences but not much.
IMGP0687.JPG
Front view of the label and how square it is. Basic label made up on the front with logo.
IMGP0688.JPG
Total thickness of my version

danpass
eBay name: danpass

Post by danpass » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:19 pm

well .......... it's been a while lol
Dan

hannonmc

Post by hannonmc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:53 am

danpass,

If you look in the for sale section, you'll see that Treesuit is offering these up for $10 plus shipping...

Bugoutgrub

Post by Bugoutgrub » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:22 am

I can't compete with that price since Treesuit's getting some of his stuff free, but Bug-Out Grub is almost ready to ship. All we're waiting on is a bag sealer.
2011-01-09 17.42.01.jpg
Case Menu 1

hannonmc

Post by hannonmc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:36 pm

What will be your final price? The Bugout Grub looks good too.

Bugoutgrub

Post by Bugoutgrub » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:43 am

hannonmc wrote:What will be your final price? The Bugout Grub looks good too.
I'm starting at $23.50. That price will come down as I can buy items in larger quantities (pallets instead of cases).

fdsman

Post by fdsman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:45 pm

Bugoutgrub wrote:
hannonmc wrote:What will be your final price? The Bugout Grub looks good too.
I'm starting at $23.50. That price will come down as I can buy items in larger quantities (pallets instead of cases).

If you can get people like USNERDOC and sootch00 on youtube to do a review and endorse your product, I think you could get your prices down faster than expected.

Bugoutgrub

Post by Bugoutgrub » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:35 pm

Thanks fdsman, that's good info. I'll be sure to contact them.

fdsman

Post by fdsman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:46 pm

Bugoutgrub wrote:Thanks fdsman, that's good info. I'll be sure to contact them.
Another big one would be cutlerylover. He's got 54,587 subscribers at the moment, most of which would be interested in your product.