Petition for Sopacko to create a Civilian FSR?

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
hannonmc

Re: Petition for Sopacko to create a Civilian FSR?

Post by hannonmc » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:22 pm

Welcome to the discussion...

What was the thought of going with the energy gel instead of an applesauce? Not very filling, is it?

Will the outer bag be completely sealed (sort of like a tear open, but still have a ziplock much like the Moutain House freezedried meals) or will it just be a ziplock?

Bugoutgrub

Post by Bugoutgrub » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:16 pm

hannonmc wrote:Welcome to the discussion...

What was the thought of going with the energy gel instead of an applesauce? Not very filling, is it?

Will the outer bag be completely sealed (sort of like a tear open, but still have a ziplock much like the Moutain House freezedried meals) or will it just be a ziplock?
Thanks for the welcome!

We chose energy gel instead of applesauce for a couple of reasons. First, and most important, Zapplesauce isn't available on the civilian market. There is an MRE applesauce available, but it lacks the extra caffeine and maltodextrin of the Zapplesauce. (Also, it tastes kind of nasty.) Maltodextrin is a slowly absorbed carbohydrate that helps keep your energy levels up during strenuous activity (like hiking long distances). The energy gel can be swallowed like a shot, or it can be squeezed into a camel bak. Having said that, if we can find a source for Zapplesauce, we will definitely include it.

Regarding the outer bag, it will be a sealed, 5 mil notch-tear zip-lock bag. We're trying to decide between clear plastic or Mylar. We're doing some comparison tests right now.

**edit**
Attachments
SamplePackage_exp.jpg
SamplePackage.jpg

fdsman

Post by fdsman » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:41 pm

Hmm do you have access to a zapplesauce pouch?

I checked the trademark and it's owned by the army but I'm sure they have to license it out to some company.

http://www.trademarkia.com/zapplesauce-78971047.html

I'm thinking if you could find out what company makes it, you might be able to find a source for it.

Bugoutgrub

Post by Bugoutgrub » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:46 pm

fdsman,

We tried that route. The reply we got was that they were under contract from the government and were not allowed to sell to the public. We assume it will only be a matter of time before they release it under a different name - like HooAh bars (soldier fuel).

hannonmc

Post by hannonmc » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:20 am

Very interesting and reasonable price point...

Do you have all of the menu listings available? Would be nice to take a peak.

Bugoutgrub

Post by Bugoutgrub » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:46 am

hannonmc wrote:Very interesting and reasonable price point...

Do you have all of the menu listings available? Would be nice to take a peak.
FYI, we've already replaced the Ablacore tuna and mayo with a tuna salad pouch. The pouch has a 3 year shelf life instead of 8 months for the mayo alone.

We're also looking at adding a couple more menus as more retort pouch foods come on the market. I'm a fan of the new Vienna Sausage pouch, even though I prefer the original flavor over the chicken.
Attachments
3Menus.jpg

fdsman

Post by fdsman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:00 pm

I'm having a bit of a hard time finding anything other than tuna and salmon and pet food in retort pouches. A little over 5 years ago kman posted that he found a lasagna and other retort pouch meals, but I've been rather unsuccessful at finding them.

You may consider adding in a dried pasta/macaroni pouch with an MRE heater inside. I know it goes against the mantra of the FSR but it'd be a nice side dish.

Bugoutgrub

Post by Bugoutgrub » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Bumble Bee (Sweet Sue) is coming out with several products in pouches in addition to tuna -- like ham chunks and turkey breast. They're hard to find in grocery stores, but they're out there.

We've already got lots of ideas for future versions of Bug-Out Grub. We're working on some shopping cart software that will allow you to build your own FSR (pack it with your favorites), and we're working on a civilian version of the Long Range Patrol ration and the Cold Weather ration as well.

If the demand is out there, we'll make it happen!

hannonmc

Post by hannonmc » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:43 pm

The custom FSR is a really good idea! Also interested in the LRP.

fdsman

Post by fdsman » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:47 am

Wow, I'd really like to see a civvie LRP and cold weather ration especially since they've been discontinued.