Halal / Kosher J&M Cheese Tortellini

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
QMGE81A
eBay name: j-a-smith

Halal / Kosher J&M Cheese Tortellini

Post by QMGE81A » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:59 pm

After yet another great purchase with Treesuit I have come into possession of 6 J&M Halal / Kosher meals. Today I decided to try Cheese Tortellini in Tomato Sauce & Pinto Beans.
Halal 1.jpg
Best by date of 03/2013
Here is a picture of the pouch out of the cardboard box:
Halal 2.jpg
The foil pouch is larger than a standard MRE entree pouch. It also feels to be a thicker material.
Halal 3.jpg
Upon opening the foil pouch, i was greeted with a rather pungent aroma. At first I was afraid it had gone bad. When I sniffed again I realized it was the aroma of all the spices I was smelling. It was like walking into an Indian restraunt! After figuring out the aroma the next thing I noticed was how little was in the bag. The contents were maybe less than half of the bag.

Here is a close up of the contents after being nuked for one minute:
Halal 4.jpg
The cheese tortellini in it is the exact same consistency as those in the standard MRE entree. However the flavor is something else entirely. The pinto beans completely overwhelm the dish. While numerically there are not many pinto beans, I believe there once was and they have turned to a thick mush that now coats everything in the dish. The supposed "tomato sauce" was no where to be found. The spices that were so fragrant when the package was open are also gone. Even biting into the cheese tortellini I can barely detect the cheese flavor due to the overwhelming pinto bean sauce.

All in all I would say it was just okay. I would certainly take an MRE Cheese Tortellini in tomato sauce over this thing! I still have My Kind of Chicken, Lamb & Lentil Stew, and Vegetable Stew to try. Stay tuned for further reviews!

Treesuit

Re: Halal / Kosher J&M Cheese Tortellini

Post by Treesuit » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:16 pm

That's kind of a shock. :shock:

mtime7
eBay name: mtime7

Post by mtime7 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:08 pm

I thought the kosher meals were supposed to be good

housil

Post by housil » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:37 am

mtime7 wrote:I thought the kosher meals were supposed to be good
I had some Kosher/Halal and as we don´t have such religious foods over here, I thought "Kosher" is the description for "spiceless" :cry: