Britman's First Strike Ration Review

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
britman

Re: Britman's First Strike Ration Review

Post by britman » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:34 pm

Repost of the pictures that I originally posted too large :oops:

Overall, my impressions of the FSR are good. I cannot call it a lightweight ration (although it certainly isn't heavier than usual 'wet' rations like ORP) as it does not have many dehydrated components - it is however a lot smaller and easier to handle than 3x MRE would be (am used to 1x ratpack being issued per 24hrs so 1x ratpack per meal always seemed odd to me :P ).

I also cannot say I think it would be a good choice for winter or cold weather conditions, at least over multiple days, as the only heatable component is 1x cup of coffee per day, and at the end of a day in cold wet windy conditions especially when you're tired it is essential to get that hot meal down you before resting or going out on patrols etc. That said I'm sure it would be grand for short duration stuff even in these conditions. I understand that hot food and eat-on-the-go don't really go hand in hand, and that if you have been issued an 'assault' ration like this you are unlikely to be bivvying up and establishing harbour areas anyway.

I can see this ratpack gaining a lot of fans from those who often don't get much time or opportunity to get proper scoff on (hot food is great but we've all had times when its not really practical), and those who want to keep fuss to a minimum. I've got 3 in my storage/collection (same menu as this one plus the other 2), and I would definitely buy more again to use. I'm a fan 8)

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:05 am

Nice review! Thanks for all the pics!

PC1149

Post by PC1149 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:40 am

How hard is it to get FSR in the US and what should I expect to pay for them if I can find them? Anyone selling these rations in US?
Cheers,
Greg

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:22 pm

From what I've seen, it's all but impossible to get FSRs in the US. The only way I was able to get some was from someone in Germany who bought them from a store in Great Britain. At this point, if you saw an FSR appear on eBay, it wouldn't surprise me to see it go for $50 or more.

britman

Post by britman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:09 pm

Thanks Kman

PC, I got mine from www.armyrations.co.uk , reasonably priced too. Maybe you can get some from them shipped back over to you? Either that, or maybe you could get in touch with them and see if they have any contacts in the US they buy from who can hook you up with some?

PC1149

Post by PC1149 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:21 pm

kman wrote:From what I've seen, it's all but impossible to get FSRs in the US. The only way I was able to get some was from someone in Germany who bought them from a store in Great Britain. At this point, if you saw an FSR appear on eBay, it wouldn't surprise me to see it go for $50 or more.
Thanks for that info kman. I had a chance to buy a case of them but the price was a lot, now I'm thinking it was not a bad deal....
I wanted only a couple of rations for myself and could have sold the rest I guess. I'll have to see if I can still get them now I know they are still very rare in the US.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:22 pm

PC1149, you definitely could have unloaded any extras here. If you see another case available, I'd be happy to chip in and help buy it.

trueoptimist

Post by trueoptimist » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Thats pretty cool! great job with the review. :)
It seemed like a ton of food, it would easily feed me for a day.
The only thing is... mayo isn't such a good idea. The other day I had a sandwich (with mayo) that had been in a car in the heat for 3 hours, and it the first bite made me feel like throwing up.

housil

Post by housil » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:36 pm

That is why ration may is fat free, so it can´t spoil in the heat :mrgreen:

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:51 pm

Housil,

You mentioned something like that in another thread. It had something to do with the oil in mixing process?