U.S. Jimmy Dean

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
Herr_Braun

U.S. Jimmy Dean

Post by Herr_Braun » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:33 am

I don't know why they call this thing as "Jimmy Dean".
It is not similiar to other military rations. But this is issued to U.S. Soldiers.
P090411005.jpg
Package
Here is the full plastic package.
P090411006.jpg
Items
And Contents. Sorry for I didn't take pictures of individual item.

It has many items like below:
- 1 can of lemon iced tea
- 1 pack of long shaped bread
- 1 pack of peanut butter
- 1 pack of potato skins
- 1 cup of apple sauce
- 3 packs of peanut butter
- 1 pack of strawberry jam
- 1 pack of concord grape jelly
- 1 can of vienna sausages (made of beef, pork and chicken)
- 1 peppermint candy
- 1 accessory pack (Contains pepper, salt, plastic spoon, napkin, moist towellet)

Later I'll write the review about Republic of Korea Army Type III Self-heating ration or Type II Ration.

housil

Re: U.S. Jimmy Dean

Post by housil » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:44 am

Thx for sharing the pic´s and first of all - welcome to forums :D

Allow me a question. Why do you call yourself "Herr Braun"? It´s German :?: :wink:

Herr_Braun

Post by Herr_Braun » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:51 am

Ich studiere Deutsch in meiner Uni!
I major in German and study German in my university.
housil wrote:Thx for sharing the pic´s and first of all - welcome to forums :D

Allow me a question. Why do you call yourself "Herr Braun"? It´s German :?: :wink:

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:30 pm

Herr_Braun welcome to the forums.
Those food packets are given in the bases by civilian contractors. They are good and also made as you saw of comercially available products. :D

Aufwiedersehen mein freund....
Peace!
8)
"Live long and prosper..."

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:46 am

Yea, but BYPAH, would'nt the the contractors rather have tortillas and bean dip or something like that? I don't think any illegal Mexicans would like the "Jimmy Dean", as shown. :twisted: 8) Gruss Gott, Herr_Braun

bishopmarine

Post by bishopmarine » Sun May 24, 2009 1:07 am

I used to regularly get meals like that brought out to the flight line while on active duty. We ate those when we could not take time to go to the mess hall. We called them bag nasties. They used to actually have a jimmy dean wrapper on the sandwich. They were not too bad.
"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War;
shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered
to not wear their khaki leggings.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Mon May 25, 2009 11:46 pm

I think I posted this on another thread. Back in 1999 the box lunches we had out in the field we actuall lunches made by Jimmy Dean themselves. They had two sandwhiches, chips, cookies, pudding or fruit, juice drink and a A-packet. Thought the menu's differ from one to another they were very delicious than the MRE's. :D

Since that time I've seen other varieties but for some reason the original Jimmy Deans box lunches are non-existant in the food supply system or contracted meals. Very odd, :?

AngryVeteran

Post by AngryVeteran » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:37 am

I remember these. Although I remember them on styrofoam trays. The first time I seen them was in Reception Battalion after we got off of the buses. Then we slept 2 hours, and had to wake up for breakfast. LMAO. Come to think of it, I am not even sure why they gave it to us.

I also remember these at the DFAC in Iraq when they were doing maintenance on food storage units or they ran out of main courses. I remember hadji's stealing main courses from the palettes when they finally did get there to our DFAC in Balad. I also remember these go to and fro Iraq. In the green ramps, etc.

RSMRE

Post by RSMRE » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:01 pm

Was my first meal @ 2:00AM in the morning when I arrived at Ft. Jackson in 98. It was frozen and we had to eat it all. Good way to start your first day in the Army. If I remember correctly they gave us something similar after our last road march in basic training as well...Good times
Sellers/Traders I recommend: ViperGTS x2, Salty Croc, donjuan_21,Sturm44,Ration_Man

Horsesoldier

Post by Horsesoldier » Fri May 10, 2019 5:38 am

Herr_Braun wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:33 am
I don't know why they call this thing as "Jimmy Dean".
It is not similiar to other military rations. But this is issued to U.S. Soldiers.
When they first showed up (late? 90s), the sandwich component was made by the Jimmy Dean company -- I think either turkey or ham w/cheese on a hamburger type bun, plus chips and a bag of cookies was the standard format. Stored frozen and usually issued in a semi-frozen state. There was a fine science to getting them thawed to where there weren't ice crystals in the meat and cheese in the sandwich but not so thawed the bread turned to mush.