Collection of ACCESSORY PACKETS from different US Rations

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
mreheater72

Re: Collection of ACCESSORY PACKETS from different US Rations

Post by mreheater72 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi guys,

here is my newest Accessory Packet-“capture” :D . It is not a “packet”, it is a “can” with DoP 1951. I guess it was content of “Ration, Combat, Individual”. In my opinion it is the fanciest type of Accessory Packet. I searched a long time for it and now it is part of my collection, in very great condition, no rust, no bumps, only some minor scratches :D :

Top side:

Side view with clip for opening:

Bottom side with key for opening:

So long mreheater72
"QUIDQUID AGIS PRUDENTER AGAS ET RESPICE FINEM"

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:46 am

Wow that is in GREAT shape for being so old. I hope I look as good at age 59!
"No trees were harmed in the sending of this message... however, several million electrons were greatly inconvenienced."

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:54 pm

MREheater72,

do you have any info on this type of A-packet? I don't think we've seen anything like this on the forum or on another thread. It almost looks like it came out of the 5-in-1 MCI ration kit issued way back in the early 50's.

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:33 pm

Treesuit wrote:MREheater72,

do you have any info on this type of A-packet? I don't think we've seen anything like this on the forum or on another thread. It almost looks like it came out of the 5-in-1 MCI ration kit issued way back in the early 50's.
Sorry, but I´m not sure to which ration that Accessory Packet belongs. I have seen some of them at Ebay the last years, they were all packed 1951, so I guess the plausibility is high, that that was the only year, they were produced that way as can. It could be possible, as you write, that is out of a "Ration, Small-Detachment, 5-in-1".

See here:

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_rations_group_5in1.php

So long mreheater72

housil

Post by housil » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:30 pm

Was it hidden under the Holy Gral?!

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:39 pm

Hi guys,

here are two more types of MCI Accessory Packets pre 1972, both with cigarettes, both in perfect condition :D and both have a yellow-tan color, they are not dark brown as usual:

The first one is out of a MCI case DoP May 1960 (the first MCI was packed 1958 :!: ), here the SPOON belongs to the contents :!: , the coffee, cream and sugar is packed in a separate BEVERAGE PACKET :!: :

ACCESSORY PACKET

CIGARETTES
MATCHES
CHEWING GUM
TOILET PAPER
SPOON
SALT

(no packer stated)

BEVERAGE PACKET

COFFEE-INSTANT
DRY CREAM PRODUCT
SUGAR

(no packer stated)

The second one was content of a MCI case DoP February 1963:

CIGARETTES
MATCHES
CHEWING GUM
TOILET PAPER
COFFEE, INSTANT
CREAM DRY
SUGAR
SALT

(no packer stated)

So long mreheater72

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Sat May 08, 2010 2:05 am

MREHEATER72,

Wow! Those are some rare finds. Even the tan-olive color is very different than anything we've seen here. Can you tell us if that particular color was in production for only a short time or did it run from say 1958 to 1963. You mention those two dates so I'm guessing those area short period to go on. All I've ever seen was the dark brown color and some other early variants from pre 1958.

biscuits brown

That accessory pack in a tin.

Post by biscuits brown » Sat May 08, 2010 6:15 pm

I have checked all my ration related historical records, specifications of individual rations from 1940 to the introduction of the MRE, of which I have a very respectable library of now.
Nowhere is this canned accessory item mentioned. There is a vague reference in the Wiki article on C rations to the earliest, pre 1941 test models that mentions a canned accessory item, but was abandoned quickly due to weight and volume issues.
As early as 1941 accessory items packaged in Kraft foil or brown butchers paper seems to be the only accessory package material ever used.

It cant be a 5 in 1 or 10 in 1 item, because there is no record of any metal accessory packaging used in these group rations, and anyway it is obviously an accessory unit for a single ration due to the size of the can.

It is inconcievable that this is some kind of "emergency packaging solution" forced by some shortage of materials in the US packaging industry in 1951 -2. This is industrial U.S.A at its 50s peak 8) And it would flatly break the soldiers and QM desire for lightness and portability in the C series of rations. Finally these C4, C5, RCI rations were very specifically packed! Just no room for an extra can. The accessory packs were always put on top or between the M and B units.

Im still looking, but my hunch is you have something very rare here. Maybe some unrecorded specification sub component which was made in some number but for only a very short time?

Simon :)
Last edited by biscuits brown on Sun May 09, 2010 11:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

biscuits brown

Post by biscuits brown » Sat May 08, 2010 6:33 pm

Silly speculative post. Please ignore :lol: :oops:
Last edited by biscuits brown on Sun May 09, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

biscuits brown

C-3 canned accessory item

Post by biscuits brown » Sun May 09, 2010 12:48 pm

I found it :)

Its a accessory pack from the short lived C-3 ration (1951 -53)

This is the heaviest individual ration ever produced by the US army. It weighed 5 pound 10.5 ounces. Thats about 2.5 kilo.

It seems to have no less than 8 cans as part of the daily unit. Maybe even 9.

3 M units
3 B units
1 Instant cereal unit (was this canned also? The record is vague on this)
1 12 oz. can of fruit
1 accessory can

Its bloody rare Hagen, Probably the rarest item in your collection. The only canned accessory unit ever, only made from 1951 -3

How the US forces in mountainous Korea must have loved the C-3, all 5lb 10.5 ozs of it :roll:

Information from Notes taken from History of Rations, conference, 1949. Prepared for the QMC by the QMS
From the QMfound.website article History of Rations.