MCW Beef Soup Review

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
kman
Site Admin

MCW Beef Soup Review

Post by kman » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:10 pm

I just put up a review of the "Beef Soup" component of an MCW here:

http://www.mreinfo.com/reviews/mre/mcw- ... eview.html

I'll include a copy of the review here, too:

MCW Beef Soup

Author: kman
Date: December 15, 2008

In my latest delivery from TheEpicenter.com, they threw in a packet of "Soup, Beef Flavor"; that looks like's from an MCW (Meal, Cold Weather). Today was a cold day and soup sounded like a good idea so I thought I'd give it a try.

Here's the package. It has a date code of "5021" so that puts its production date at January, 2005 - so it's almost 4-year old soup.
Image Image

The instructions read:

Add 8 ounces of hot water (about 1/3 canteen cup) to pouch, stir, wait for about 5 minutes. Hot water may be added in stages to keep food hot.

Here are the contents in a bowl. To my surprise, this looks like Ramen Noodles! I was expecting your basic "beef soup" but instead, this looks like your standard 10 cent package of Ramen. In fact, now that I look at the MCW menus, I can see that Menu 3 has "Soup, Noodle, Ramen, Instant as a component. Sure enough, that's what I have!

I added 8 ounces of water and let it sit for a while.

Here's the final product. If you've ever had Ramen Noodles, then you already know how it tastes. It's basic noodles with a light beef broth and a few suspicious-looking chunks of (hopefully) beef. The soup didn't have a whole lot of flavor but wasn't too salty and so overall was a decent addition to my lunch.

mreheater72

Re: MCW Beef Soup Review

Post by mreheater72 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:11 pm

Great review kman, thanks :D ! The soup looks really yummy!

So long mreheater72
"QUIDQUID AGIS PRUDENTER AGAS ET RESPICE FINEM"

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:13 am

Kman,
That is a great review but a little disppointing. I figured as it looks like a MCW it would have more to it. :?

MCIera

Post by MCIera » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:11 am

In reading over the contents and the nutritional information printed on the package, it appears to be consistent with the ingredients listed on Nissin Cup Noodles, Beef Flavor. The meaty looking chunks that appear to be similar to beef are textured vegetable protein (TVP). I'd be inclined to guess that it is the Nissin product without the foam cup.
kman wrote:Here's the final product. If you've ever had Ramen Noodles, then you already know how it tastes. It's basic noodles with a light beef broth and a few suspicious-looking chunks of (hopefully) beef. The soup didn't have a whole lot of flavor but wasn't too salty and so overall was a decent addition to my lunch.

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:10 pm

I have one like that but is chicken based ,a left over from a MCW and yes they use ramen noodles... :D
Most of these japanese /asian freeze dried foods use a lot of TVP with diffrent flavors,beef,chicken,shrimp...etc! :shock:
But as a friend of mine used to day..."In the bitter cold is good antifreeze! :lol: :lol: "
Peace!
8)
"Live long and prosper..."