Great Haul from First FL MVPA Rally and a Mystery LRP??

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
Rstel01

Great Haul from First FL MVPA Rally and a Mystery LRP??

Post by Rstel01 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:37 pm

Hi All,

Great haul last weekend from the First Florida MVPA Rally by Jacksonville. It never disappoints for ration hunting.

Beautiful 1950 Food Packet Individual Assault, nice early 2 piece RCW and some early LRP's
Oddly enough for the FPIA, an oddly burst 1950 Tuna can I think saved it. The slow leaking tuna juice (bulged seam) kind of gave a slight coating but, made the VCI paper of the accessory packet un-salvageable. But the packet contained some great well kept pieces:

One of the LRP's, straight forward early 1970's seal bag corp:
But here is the one that is a mystery, is anyone familiar with "Dixie Packaging"?
It is before 1994, which is the only "Dixie Packaging" I can find reference to (when they opened)
It is probably the worst printed ration I've ever seen (which intrigued me)
Contents maybe late 1970's/Early 80's (ish) as it contains the MCI style of spoon and the taped stronger napkin around the main
I even took a shot a working backwards from the Vanilla Fudge bar but, Falcon Candies in Philadelphia has been gone for a long time.
I'm not familiar with this packer and it really is the poorest labeling I've ever seen. Anyone have any ideas?

texrdnec

Re: Great Haul from First FL MVPA Rally and a Mystery LRP??

Post by texrdnec » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:48 pm

great scores! i still don't have an assault ration but i'm bound to get lucky eventually.

military vehicle preservation assn?

i had an m35a2 once upon a time but sold it, foolishly.

did nothing but work on the damned thing, replaced everything from the hood to the tailgate, got it solid and then sold it

oh well, was fun while it lasted

Rstel01

Post by Rstel01 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:43 am

texrdnec wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:48 pm
great scores! i still don't have an assault ration but i'm bound to get lucky eventually.

military vehicle preservation assn?

i had an m35a2 once upon a time but sold it, foolishly.

did nothing but work on the damned thing, replaced everything from the hood to the tailgate, got it solid and then sold it

oh well, was fun while it lasted
Yes, that MVPA.

Well it all kind of started with the 24vdc MRE vehicle heater... :)

My 1972 M151A2 which has been an ongoing project for years now

Plus the M416 to go with it (photo earlier in its restoration process)

It's fairly well "done" now so, kind of setting up for next. But, I don't have the level of commitment for a Deuce or larger. I'd love to have an M35 but at that point, I might as well get something tracked!

We're giving serious consideration to a Brit Ferret but, want a Mark 1/2 with the raised cupola but, no turret.. we'll see!

texrdnec

Post by texrdnec » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:47 am

this was my truck before i did any real work to it (my truck but not my meme)

and sadly i think this is the best pic i have of it finished

texrdnec

Post by texrdnec » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:53 am

a close up of it getting the injector pump rebuilt (eventually had to replace it)

and an up skirt shot (had to change the oil pan out because gov liq flattened it with a forklift)

i can't believe i don't have any better pics, probably on an external hard drive somewhere

norge

Post by norge » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:46 pm

The RCW is from 1993 cinpac this are pretty rare to those was only made by Cinpac for one year
The Dixie packaging lrp is from about 1980 to 1983, and old school lrp have the napkin wrapped around the meal for extra protection.

cheers ken

Rstel01

Post by Rstel01 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:59 pm

norge wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:46 pm
The RCW is from 1993 cinpac this are pretty rare to those was only made by Cinpac for one year
The Dixie packaging lrp is from about 1980 to 1983, and old school lrp have the napkin wrapped around the meal for extra protection.

cheers ken
You are a gentlemen and a scholar... thank you very much :D

It's interesting though as I can't find historic reference to Dixie Packaging from that era. "Dixie Packaging" exists but, according to their history they were formed/started doing business in 1994.

I figured the rough timeline but, the labeling is so bad I'm surprised it passed acceptance!

Rstel01

Post by Rstel01 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:03 pm

texrdnec wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:47 am
this was my truck before i did any real work to it (my truck but not my meme)

and sadly i think this is the best pic i have of it finished

Nice... latter NATO 3 CARC color maintained... :D

Although I keep struggling with going back to an early 80's MERDC scheme. But, as I drove them in that last NATO 3 Color scheme, when the sun was fading on the 151's service life was actually "my" era......