2019 TOTM

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
OtisRNeedleman

2019 TOTM

Post by OtisRNeedleman » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:26 pm

Was hungry and didn't know what I wanted to eat. Saw a loose TOTM and grabbed it. Date on commissary sales tag was 23 November 19. Figured it would be okay.

Entree was spaghetti and meat sauce. Remember, the TOTM isn't quite as much food as an MRE, but costs only about half as much.

First, prepared the lemonade drink mix (no fruit juice). Poured in 12 ounces of water, shook it well, put it aside.

Second, stuck the spaghetti pouch in the flameless heater, added water, and propped it up on the stove to heat.

Third, opened the cracker package. Crackers weren't broken at all, just a few crumbs off the sides. Didn't want to push my luck so didn't break up the crackers into the four individual squares, but instead put the peanut butter on the two large squares and added blueberry preserves from the fridge. Poured lemonade drink into glass, drank about half. Much of the powder hadn't dissolved. Stirred with spoon, not much improvement. Poured it out, rinsed out glass, poured in some milk.

Crackers with the peanut butter and blueberry preserves were very good. Crackers weren't salted. Enjoyed them with the milk.

By then the spaghetti was getting warm, and I was still hungry. Opened pouch. Spaghetti was surprisingly good, didn't even need salt.

I don't drink coffee so tossed coffee and creamer. Had never tried Skittles before, ate about half the 2.5 ounce bag. Pretty good.

Since I wanted a little more to eat had a couple of ounces of cashews.

Verdict: Very good, especially for an older TOTM. Have a case of them left. Will try one again later, just need to be in the right mood.

RockyRaab

Re: 2019 TOTM

Post by RockyRaab » Sun May 02, 2021 9:40 am

I think TOTMs are just about the right size for a non-combat hot lunch. I've eaten a lot of them while fishing, even in the tight confines of a kayak. And you can't beat the price.

My continuing peeve is the coffee. Why? there is never a bev bag in a TOTM, so there's no way to fix coffee. They put bev bags in full MREs but now seldom include coffee in those. Totally bass ackwards.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Westview
eBay name: robichj

Re: 2019 TOTM

Post by Westview » Sun May 02, 2021 5:22 pm

You're right, they should include a beverage bag. They are probably very cheap to make so not sure why they don't include one.