Review: 1989 Ration, Cold Weather (RCW) Components, Part 1

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
SentientTootsieRoll

Review: 1989 Ration, Cold Weather (RCW) Components, Part 1

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:32 pm

This has been my second chance to try out one of the older Ration, Cold Weather ration items (predecessor to the current production Meal, Cold Weather). I picked these up about a year ago at a surplus store and was surprised to find them. I know some of these components are highly sought after. Some of the packaging was starting to wear down so I decided it would be better to review these sooner than later. The items were randomly assorted in a box, the outer bag was not included. So I decided to pick and choose some items from my collection. This will be part 1, what I designated to be the breakfast part of the ration.
IMG_0147-min.jpg
Here are some closeups of the oatmeal in its packaging and during preparation.
IMG_0148.JPG
IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0150.JPG
Here are the items included in the accessory packet.
IMG_0151.JPG
This is the chicken noodle soup, prior to adding water.
IMG_0152.JPG
Here's a closeup of the strawberry fruit soup prior to and after adding a small bit of hot water.
IMG_0153.JPG
IMG_0155.JPG
Here's the entire ration prepared!
IMG_0154.JPG
The oatmeal smelled like soap in its packaging. After adding some hot water, I let it set for about 10 minutes. After this, it smelled great. I have no idea how they did it, but it was simply amazing. The oatmeal bits were perfectly soft and chewy, the apple bits gave it a unique, almost aged-like flavor and overall just had a slightly sweet cinnamon flavor to it. For those who have had the Quaker instant oatmeal packets, they're nothing like this. This is far better.

The nut mix was still edible but the nuts were starting to turn a bit sour. I ate a few handfuls but had to toss the remainder of them. The chicken noodle soup reminded me of that Lipton stuff you can buy from the store. In my case, it was really salty because I didn't add enough water. But it was still perfectly edible, but by no means the best part of the ration. Coffee Instant Type 1 by itself is nothing to write home about, in my opinion. But if you combine it with creamer and sugar, it makes the best instant coffee imaginable. The sharp flavor nicely complements the creamer and sugar better than the standard coffee they use in modern rations. The iced tea was a nice addition because it something cold and sweet to drink making it a refreshing way to finish off the oatmeal.

I saved the fruit soup for last. For those who watch Steve1989, you know he really raved about this stuff. He would have been a great salesman for it if they ever sold it to the general public. I guess that's how you know he's serious. ;) Despite what the instructions say, I followed his advice and added a few tablespoons of hot water so it would stir into a thick consistency. It was very sweet and had a partly artificial but partly natural tasting strawberry flavor. Imagine eating a spoonful of strawberry jam. Now imagine if Mountain House made a freeze dried version of that, that's what this tastes like. It's a great ration item that is highly coveted by many. I'm happy that I was able to try both flavors and document my experiences for others to read before they all disappear. If you ever do find any rare ration items that you are going to try, I encourage you to take some pictures and share the experience with us so it can live on!

norge

Re: Review: 1989 Ration, Cold Weather (RCW) Components, Part 1

Post by norge » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:28 pm

Just got to love a RCW review :D :D

cheers ken

norge

Post by norge » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:43 pm

btw i dont think that chicken soup is from a 1989 RCW, thinks it comes a later model rcw :D

cheers ken

SentientTootsieRoll

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:09 pm

Nice catch! I just checked, when I previously reviewed a 1989 2A/2B RCW here, it was not included.

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:44 am

Nice review! I agree, all of those RCW oatmeals were indeed VERY good, very creamy, flavorful and a LARGE serving indeed. Sadly, I actually never liked the fruit soup, so it used to go in the trash or to a friend after I ate everything else. To me the nut-raisin mix always had a weird processed taste to them. I probably had 10+ cases of RCW's over my life time (1989 to 1998 dated). Those were indeed my favorite US rations.