1977 Beef Stew Food Packet Long Range Patrol Review

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
SentientTootsieRoll

1977 Beef Stew Food Packet Long Range Patrol Review

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:36 pm

Since I now have a case of nearly 30 LRPs from 1977, I decided to try this one a few nights ago for dinner. I didn't have much hope since I'd gotten sick eating a spaghetti LRP from the mid-late 1980s a few years ago, but that one smelled bad to begin with so I shouldn't have consumed the entire thing. I was just under the impression that it was supposed to taste that way and after feeling sick for nearly a month, I wish I would have listened what my senses were telling me to do. Anyway, I'm all for keeping an open mind so maybe this will be a different experience!
20201010_184600.jpg
Here's a look at the inside of the bag prior to taking all the components out. You may be able to tell that the beef stew pouch is enclosed in a cardboard sleeve.
20201010_184647.jpg
And here are the components laid out on the tray. (Having a tray makes doing these reviews 100 times easier compared to using a dinner plate.)
20201010_184738.jpg
This ration includes freeze dried beef stew produced by Oregon Freeze Dry (also makers of Mountain House and still a contractor for current production LRPs/MCWs as of 2020), an accessory packet, spoon and toilet paper.

Here are the components of the accessory packet.
20201010_184819-min.jpg
The accessory packet includes cocoa beverage powder, vanilla fudge, Stim-U-Dent interdental stimulator, two packets of coffee instant type II, creamer, sugar and matches.

This the beef stew in its package. It smelled a lot of like Crayola crayons, which was odd but not unlike a few other ration experiences.
20201010_184853.jpg
Here's a look at the beef stew prior to adding water.
20201010_184929-min.jpg
I decided to add some boiling water to it and let it sit for about 5 minutes. In the meantime, I prepared a mocha and took a look at the interdental stimulator.
20201010_185129.jpg
20201010_185208-min.jpg
Here's the ration in its entirety and ready to eat!
20201010_185845-min.jpg
I'll admit that this particular menu didn't look too appetizing but it was actually still good! It comparison to the current production beef stew, this one was more salty and the beef was shredded rather than cubed. I'm sure there are other, subtle differences but aside from that, it tasted about the same. The vanilla fudge bar was as hard as a rock. I couldn't break it in half let alone bite into it. The mocha was great, however I think the coffee flavor is stronger with coffee instant type I and tastes more like it should. As far as the interdental stimulator goes, what a joke. For a meal like this, I believe dental floss would be more appropriate. For that reason, I would prefer the current production beef stew since it doesn't get stuck in my teeth and the the flavor is slightly more improved.

Travelowl

Re: 1977 Beef Stew Food Packet Long Range Patrol Review

Post by Travelowl » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:45 pm

Thank you for at least trying to consume everything, and for the great photos!

I’m always especially intrigued at how these have held up.

GunnarTheFeisty

Re: 1977 Beef Stew Food Packet Long Range Patrol Review

Post by GunnarTheFeisty » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:46 pm

hey, see if you can find a coconut fudge in the white packaging.Claire was looking for one.
most wanted: RCIR, MCI/B units, IMPs, anything old, and a packet or two of RAFCO soup. PM if you've got these, or anything else to sell that isn't too expensive.