hillside coffee self heating

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
dirtbag

Re: hillside coffee self heating

Post by dirtbag » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:18 pm

To be honest, i'd prefer self cooling beer:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/arti ... article.do
:mrgreen:
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:07 am

Too bad the couldn't redesign the can to cut down on the heating element and put more coffee in. Seems it's a good idea just not worth the money you pay. I figure you could redesign the heating element like the heating element in the FRH and get more energy, that way you put more coffee in it and get more for your buck. Doesn't seem to terribly complicated. :?

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:44 am

I always have a small stove in each of my vehicles to make coffee, and at least several MRE's... Plus a gallon of water.
I favor the small coleman's (US) and Optimus (Sweden).
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

alcockell

Post by alcockell » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:53 pm

Garron wrote:Stef, I've seen somthing similar in the UK, they had some at ASDA (Owned by Walmart) a while back has to be 3 years ago as I was in my last year of school.

From what I remember there was next to nothing in them it was mostly the heating device. Quite shocked when I got to the bottom and realised that was it, I thought there was going to be more.

I bought them just for the fun factor... I don't really like coffee :D
Ahhh - were they the Nescafe ones? I remember those - and also remember how short-changed I felt... But they were good at a pinch for a quick blast of caffeine first thing at Spring Harvest...

Garron
eBay name: Bigg1989

Post by Garron » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:07 pm

I think so, it was a while back now so I'm a little foggy on the brand. Small little brown labeled cup.

They were ok for a quick caffine hit, were useful in school as we didn't have a kettle or sink in our common room (Older students study room/rexlaxing room, away from all the younger children). Just push wait and drink, nice and easy.

Gaz

MrFahrenheit
eBay name: Nomad2k3

Post by MrFahrenheit » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:23 am

Garron wrote:Stef, I've seen somthing similar in the UK, they had some at ASDA (Owned by Walmart) a while back has to be 3 years ago as I was in my last year of school.

From what I remember there was next to nothing in them it was mostly the heating device. Quite shocked when I got to the bottom and realised that was it, I thought there was going to be more.

I bought them just for the fun factor... I don't really like coffee :D

Gaz

Yeah I also remember something similar, like Gaz said there wasn't much in them and to me the coffee / tea tasted like the sort of thing you get from a Klix / maxpax instant coffee machine.
Although I do remember the tomato soup being a bit like what you would get from a can (a bit thicker than an instant soup machine).

I also remember that of the 10 or so I bought half of them wouldnt heat up, I guess thats from people picking them up in the store and reading the instructions and "triggering" them to see if they got hot,
so it's nice to see these newer versions have a "tamper proof" base to stop that sorta thing. :wink:
I came, I saw, I ate some rations then fell asleep amongst the clover.