Meal Combat Individual: CAKE Taste Test

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:32 pm

Excellent job with the pictures, mreheater72!

When you say the taste was "soapy, bitter, and rancid", how do you know that's not how it tasted when it was fresh? :-)

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:13 pm

Hey mreheater72 (and everyone else) - with the new site format up, I'm trying to add things like this review to the site quicker...so here you go:

http://www.mreinfo.com/reviews/mci/cinn ... -1979.html

You'll also notice a new link on the main menu - Reviews (just above Videos). This will link you to the main Reviews category. Send/post your reviews and I'll get them posted to the main site as fast as possible. Of course, if you don't want the reviews posted to the main site, just say so and I'll just leave them here.

C-rats

Post by C-rats » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:57 pm

Boy, it sure looks good (and edible).

Great pictures!! :)
Everything tastes better with Tabasco

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:51 pm

Hi guys,

today I will show the “Chocolate Nut Roll”. It was packed January 15 1979 (15019) by EUNICE KING’S KITCHEN, INC, SHERMAN TEXAS 75090, also nearly 29 years old by opening.

The lid was pushed to inside of the can when opening with abrasive paper similar to the "Cinnamon Nut Roll", so the vacuum was still there.

The “Chocolate Nut Roll” was packed into a thin layer of paper. The appearance was yummy. The smell was yummy too, chocolate or cocoa!

Now the taste test: I ate a little piece of it, the taste of chocolate was there, but also the taste of the rancid nuts! What a pitty! :cry: Bu the taste was better as from the "Cinnamon Nut Roll"!

Here are the photos:

Here is a photo from the inside of the empty “Chocolate Nut Roll” can, the condition was ok, no corrosion.

Next week I will show the “Orange Nut Roll” and perhaps the “Pound Cake”. Both are still unopened. I hope that the Pound Cake is still edible, there are no nuts inside!

mreheater72

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:03 pm

Really neat !!
How about showing how you open the cans ? I'm still confused about that... :oops:
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:20 pm

Another nice set of pics - thanks, mreheater72.

You know, I was just going to ask that you take some pics of how you open the cans - but dirtbag beat me to it.

I think a set of pics showing your can opening process would make a great addition to the site. I know I never knew you could open cans this way!

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:11 pm

Ok - this latest review has its own web page now:

http://www.mreinfo.com/reviews/mci/choc ... -1979.html

(includes even bigger pictures!)

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:46 am

kman wrote: You know, I was just going to ask that you take some pics of how you open the cans - but dirtbag beat me to it.

I think a set of pics showing your can opening process would make a great addition to the site. I know I never knew you could open cans this way!
I think I will start a new topic the next weeks about that procedure of opening the MCI-cans. I’m glad about your interest! Additional here I can show how I refill and close the cans.

Kman, thanks a lot for adding the Nut Roll Reviews to your main site.

So long mreheater72

C-rats

Post by C-rats » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:25 am

Yes mreheater72, PLEASE DO show us how you're opening (and reclosing) them --- I'm curious as hell too! :?
Everything tastes better with Tabasco

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:03 am

C-rats wrote:Yes mreheater72, PLEASE DO show us how you're opening (and reclosing) them --- I'm curious as hell too! :?
Thanks for your interest :D ! I will send the “MCI can open and fill procedure” as fast as possible!

So long mreheater 72