T-Rat's..or Tray Ration if you prefer, your reviews wanted.

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
Twobravo

T-Rat's..or Tray Ration if you prefer, your reviews wanted.

Post by Twobravo » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:09 pm

What kind of T-rat's have you guys had? Are they any good? How much food is really in them? I've been tempted to try some. How do you heat them up?

DangerousDave

T-Rats

Post by DangerousDave » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:53 pm

We've tryed a few. Got them from Cheaperthandirt and Sportmansguide. Beefstew is excellent, but looks like vomit before you heat it. Chicken Breasts in gravy are excellent, Spaghetti/Meatballs excellent, Turkey slices were edible, but they were little processed turkey meat slabs. Beef strips with green peppers(Pepper Steak) was excellent, but had to make some commercial white rice to go with it. To heat them, we cut a few slits in the foil, place the polymer pan into a larger metal pan with a couple inches of water in it, and set that in the oven on low-med/low heat. Otherwise, you can just spoon out the contents into microwave dishes and nuke it. Feeds family of 6+ easily. Soldiers don't get that size servings though. :P :P

DangerousDave

Chicken Breast T-Rats

Post by DangerousDave » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:11 pm

I forgot to mention, the Chicken Breast's in these are real (medium sized) chicken breast halves. Not processed slabs of meat. The ones we ate had 18 real chicken breast halves in the tray, with alot of gravy. If you get 1, just make sure to make some mashed potatoes to go with it.

Twobravo

Post by Twobravo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:02 am

Great start. Have any of you tried the desserts yet? I saw some Blueberry crumb cake or something like that offered a while back. I wonder if Kman could do a T-Rat section? Just something new to liven things up a little.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:07 pm

I was thinking about adding a T-rat/UGR section to the site. I have a bunch of pictures from various ebay auctions but that's about it - I don't have any first hand chow experience with them. I've been tempted to buy some before but I don't think I could eat a whole T-ration by myself (and still be able to fit into my clothes).

Twobravo

Post by Twobravo » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:08 am

kman wrote:I was thinking about adding a T-rat/UGR section to the site. I have a bunch of pictures from various ebay auctions but that's about it - I don't have any first hand chow experience with them. I've been tempted to buy some before but I don't think I could eat a whole T-ration by myself (and still be able to fit into my clothes).
Great idea. I fully support that.

BattlePriest

Post by BattlePriest » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:54 pm

Well I have 2 Squad meal trays. Lasagne and Apple Cobbler... have not yet tried them. I need to find a way to heat them. Cant cook em at home cause none of my pans are big enough to hold the water needed.

So I have to find some way to do it in the field over a gas grill or something.

bejean
inactive

Post by bejean » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:47 pm

A single t-tray is like a single buffet dish, way too much food for one person. Dun have anyone to share it with me....wifey ain't too keen on the MREs anyway. Had seen and hold a single beef stew t-tray and its massive. :D

Mirage

I'd wager...

Post by Mirage » Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:01 pm

Most guys in the forums here would be more than happy to drop in and share this with you, if they were in the area! :D

kyle

Post by kyle » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:31 pm

T,rats are great expt.chile con carne,the dog would'nt even tast it,the cakes are good,my kids love em,but figure in 2gal milk per tray before you even open it.
Ye who live by the sword,get shot by We that don't!