2001 mfr MRE menu 18 Turkey Breast with gravy and Potatoes

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
sourwes
eBay name: sourwes

2001 mfr MRE menu 18 Turkey Breast with gravy and Potatoes

Post by sourwes » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:43 pm

IMG_0113.JPG
Greetings ration enthusiasts! This review is for a 2001 MRE menu 18, Turkey breast with gravy and potatoes from a "B" case I've been working my way through. Overall, I was really pleased the way this meal held up. It has been stored in controlled conditions. Contents are as follows:
IMG_0212.JPG
Turkey Breast with gravy and potatoes
Filled pretzels, nacho cheese(combos)
Crackers and peanut butter
Chocolate sports bar
Orange beverage powder(not pictured)
Accessory packet, spoon and Flameless Ration Heater
IMG_0213.JPG
For being about 16 years old, this meal was fantastic! The Turkey breast patty, although chopped and formed, was firm textured and very tasty. The potatoe chunks were still firm and not mushy at all. Gravy was a lil salty, but still tasty.
The nacho pretzels were the biggest surprise. They were awesome and my wife even agreed, they could have been packed yesterday (We sample most rations together and she gives input for the reviews). The chocolate sports bar although starting to show its age, was still good to eat. Probably nearing the end of its edibleness, if that's even a word lol. The peanut butter and crackers were good, I think they have a shelf life longer than me.The orange drink I didn't try; but I'm sure it's like every other one I've ever had. In general, my humble opinion is that US MRE drinks are some of the worst anywhere. I'd much rather have a German EPA or British ORP drink. Date code on this ration was 1125(125th day of 2001) and it held up very well. The other meals from this case were similar; with usually just the coffee and dairy products spoiled. I'm gonna finish up this case soon as I think 16 years is about the oldest MRE I want to keep in my stocks, but I would eat them with confidence.
IMG_0193.JPG
Thanks for checking out my review...As always, Happy Ration Hunting:)
it is what it is....

Synthpeter

Re: 2001 mfr MRE menu 18 Turkey Breast with gravy and Potatoes

Post by Synthpeter » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:23 pm

That's a menacing looking black dot on that sticker!
I would assume most of these rations wouldn't be good, but later on you do say the coffee and dairy stuff has gone bad, so maybe that's where the real issue is and the rest will be fine.

sourwes
eBay name: sourwes

Post by sourwes » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:47 pm

Yes, the TTI was totally turned when I bought the case, but I took a chance cause the price was right. I'm glad I did, we've really enjoyed this case. Plus, now I'm sure I can eat 15 yr old MREs with relative confidence :D
it is what it is....

Biobrew

Post by Biobrew » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Thanks for the review. Interesting to hear that coffee didn't last. A few folks have posted pics of the Tasters Choice with mold growing on it, but the coffee in my '96 MREs was just fine, and one of the only edible (or drinkable) components of the MRE.