Black bean and rice revelation!

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:22 am

I just posted this story in another thread but it's kind of relevant to what we're discussing here:

137-year-old brew tastes 'absolutely amazing'
viewtopic.php?p=5051

Stef

Post by Stef » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:12 am

obviously, it’s better to find vintage drinks than vintage food :D

The older ration found in my area was a c-rat buried in a cave since 1944. The friend who dug it out first though it was a mine: as he touched it with his shovel, the tin exploded with a strong noise, some 50 years old rotten beans flew throughout the room and he was all covered with a stinky sticky brown sh!t from his head to his knees :?
The air in the cave was stinking so much that nobody could approach it for a few days.
He didn’t want to try the cheese in the other tin, we’ll never know how it could have tasted :lol:

Now when I find an old unopened tin in a cave, I leave it alone...
In principio erat spamum

dermeister025

Post by dermeister025 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:40 am

Wait a sec... he thought it was a mine, so he poked it with a shovel? :shock:
- Support Search & Rescue - Get Lost!! ;)

Stef

Post by Stef » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:28 am

no: he though he hit a mine when he heard the big bang, closed he eyes, felt he was all covered with something wet and though it was his own guts because of the sh.. smell :lol:
In principio erat spamum

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:21 am

Oh man, Stef. I was laughing my ass off about that story until I read your second comment. I forget that unexploded ordinance can be a real problem when you're out exploring like that.

Still...I'm glad it worked out ok...that's a great story.

Stef

Post by Stef » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:44 am

Well, this cave was used as a depot by the Germans then the US Army in late 1944: it was full of mess kits, rations, medical supplies and even a few German Glasminen 43 (glass mines).

They were intensively used as jam or flower pots by everybody in the area :lol:

Thanks God, none of them was active but now as I realise how unexploded ordinance can be dangerous, I think we were crazy.
In principio erat spamum

obscurotron

Post by obscurotron » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:07 pm

kman wrote:MREs are kind of funny like that - you end up saving what you think is the worst one for when you're most desperately hungry and then you find out that it's actually pretty good.

I've never had a problem with the Bean and Rice Burrito - only had a couple of them but they're pretty good with the picante sauce. IIRC, I think DirtyDave loves them.

The MRE I'm saving (meaning I'm scared to eat) is a 1992 Omelet with Ham - but I don't know if I'll ever be hungry enough to try that one. :-) Maybe curiosity will get the best of me someday.
I think I'm the only person that likes CCC. Was out pig hunting early one morning, tossed it on the dashboard to let the defroster heat it up. Darn tasty at 6:30 in the morning. :)

And of course there are two fears. The fear of taste. And the fear of the after-flatulence. Eeek!

Demoncase

Post by Demoncase » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:09 am

CCC is also one of my favourites- a nice mild Bhuna sauce (that'd be tomato based curry to y'all ;)) and good noodles....Lots of filling nosh.
我在你的市场,窃取你的销售
Trans' from Chinese= "We are in your marketplace, stealing your sales"

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:49 pm

Hey Demoncase - looks like you win the prize for the 5000th post here on the forums! I just wish I had a prize for you. :-)

And isn't it ironic that the 5000th post here is something to do with Country Captain Chicken?

Demoncase

Post by Demoncase » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:53 am

Make my prize a CCC MRE and that would be the ultimate irony :D

Failing that I'll just bask in the glory :lol:
我在你的市场,窃取你的销售
Trans' from Chinese= "We are in your marketplace, stealing your sales"