Black bean and rice revelation!

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
Demoncase

Black bean and rice revelation!

Post by Demoncase » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:18 am

Hi y'all,

Following reading various comments here I'd left the Black Bean and Rice Burrito from my 2003 MRE crate untouched- I'd even stooped so low as to rob the meal of it's extras- the shame!

However, after extensive dental work yesterday I really couldn't muster the enthusiasm to cook anything today: hence resorting to the final MRE in the house.

Well, what can I say- it's bloody lovely. A nice refried bean flavour from the filling and a good eggy burrito on the outside, when combined with the Picante salsa sauce made for a lovely filling lunch....I can only imagine the lack of popularity of this MRE is down to it being a Vege meal: quite frankly I'd swap any of the other Vege meals for this beauty.
我在你的市场,窃取你的销售
Trans' from Chinese= "We are in your marketplace, stealing your sales"

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:27 am

MREs are kind of funny like that - you end up saving what you think is the worst one for when you're most desperately hungry and then you find out that it's actually pretty good.

I've never had a problem with the Bean and Rice Burrito - only had a couple of them but they're pretty good with the picante sauce. IIRC, I think DirtyDave loves them.

The MRE I'm saving (meaning I'm scared to eat) is a 1992 Omelet with Ham - but I don't know if I'll ever be hungry enough to try that one. :-) Maybe curiosity will get the best of me someday.

paul heath

Post by paul heath » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:14 am

Members,

I am still sitting on a dehrdrated pork pattie circa late 80s. A rare find from my college ROTC FTX. LOL.

But the point KMAN made can not be stated any better.

Paul Heath

Always lurking rarely posting

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:26 am

Paul,

You have reason to be afraid of that pork patty: :-)

MRE Review - 1982 Pork Patty
viewtopic.php?t=262

DangerousDave

Don't do it!

Post by DangerousDave » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:52 pm

Kman, unless you want to commit bullit in mouth. You are like my Dad. He's like,"Yea, these 1975 C-rats are still good, and this case of 1985 packed rafco's are are still OK, cause Uncle knows how to make combat chow. I say "NOT". I had to wrestle a pack of nut cake from him before he took a bite, about a year ago. I made him take it all to the Quartermaster Museum at Ft. Lee and turn it in as a possible display in the substinence section. :wink:

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:02 am

I'm going to have to side with your dad on this one, DangerousDave. Unless the food looks and/or smells bad and unless the packaging is damaged/leaking/bulging, then the chances are good that the food is still good. Now, you have to take that "chances are good" part with a big grain of salt but I've had good luck so far. I tried those 26 year old MCIs (they were from 1978) and all of the 1990+ MREs I've eaten have all been good (the applesauce was a funny color and the cheese spread color was unnatural but it didn't smell bad). :-)

I say go ahead and try those older rations! Just be sure you have 911 on speed dial or a friend with some Syrup of Ipecac. :-)

I can't believe you wrestled a nutcake away from him! Those things are MRE gold!

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:26 am

:? OK, You called it. I like to stay on the safe side. Thats why it will be about a year before I eat another Taco from TacoBell. I just can't do it, unless it was a survival situation, but we don't have any more antiques, except a few late '90's survival packs. I will eat those green packed cornflake/shortbread/ chocolate desert bars, etc, without hessitation. :wink:

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:10 am

Oh yeah - those survival bars are great! I have a bunch from 1996 that I still snack on every once in a while. There's a guy on ebay who sells them occasionally for a decent price.

It's pretty sad when an MRE from 1992 is safer to eat than an oven-fresh gordita from Taco Bell, isn't it? :-)

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:10 pm

Exactley. You are right. It's all with the owner. If you dare, go for it. I guess I could down a pork or beef patty, potato patty, etc. as long as hear a compessed air release, when the seal is broken. Cans, on the other hand, even though they may not be bulging, are a different story. I'm not gonna do it, even if is Steak and potato's. :cry:

dermeister025

Post by dermeister025 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:37 pm

You know i looked at those survival bars on eBay a few times but never went for them cuz i wasn't too sure if they were any good. Guess i shoulda just asked here... aah well, hindsight's 20/20! Maybe i'll have to keep an eye out for some.
- Support Search & Rescue - Get Lost!! ;)