US MRE 2014 Menu# 18 Beef Ravioli

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

US MRE 2014 Menu# 18 Beef Ravioli

Post by BTemple » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:34 pm

Well, the US Election is tonight, and what's more American than eating the equivalent of Army Chef Boyardee!? (Disclaimer: I am Canadian. Hahaha)
Still have Menus 19-24 left in my Case B, I haven't done a MRE in a while.

So here it is, all the stuff... there were also raisins in this ration but I hate raisins so I gave them to someone else. Also threw the coffee, creamer, Splenda and other odds and ends into my random accessory bag; I don't drink coffee. My brother is an Archaeologist so I usually fill a big ziploc bag with various ration accessories for him for out in the field.

First of all, we have the Beef Ravioli is Meat Sauce. Even if the entree tastes bad, Bulliards can jazz anything up! This is VERY much like a can of Chef Boyardee mini-ravioli. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't amazing either. With some cheese spread mixed in after a few bites it certainly helped.

Giving away the raisins certainly made it seem strange to only have toasted corn nuggets as the snack/dessert. I would normally never eat Toasted Corn or Corn Nuts as a snack... but these are actually pretty darn good. And a sizeable portion as well.

Cheese Spread with Bacon never disappoints. Still yet to have the Jalapeno version though. The Wheat Snack Bread was perhaps the best I have seen so far, it was perfect in its texture and taste.

For some reason I decided to add corn nuts to the bread and cheese for a flavour and texture difference.... and like Austin Powers, I also like to live dangerously.
It was surprisingly good, if perhaps a tad bit salty.

Lastly we have the Orange Beverage Powder. I expected this to be bright orange and taste like Tang but was surprised that it tasted more like Orange Kool-Aid with a little blood orange taste and colour thrown in. Very good!

Thanks for stopping by everyone, hope you have a good one!
Attachments
Menu#18.jpg
Menu#18a.jpg
Menu#18b.jpg
Menu#18c.jpg
Menu#18d.jpg
Menu#18e.jpg
Menu#18f.jpg
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

shawker71
eBay name: hawkermb

Re: US MRE 2014 Menu# 18 Beef Ravioli

Post by shawker71 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:20 pm

I have still yet to try the ravioli but from all reviews, I can figure it would be good since I like chef boyardee. I like where you went with the corn nut/cheese/ snack bread. The hot sauce would have made that pop. Good review.
The first to bring you the MRE pizza stone.

BTemple

Post by BTemple » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:06 am

Thanks. For all intents and purposes the snack bread is just a vehicle to get food into your mouth, just as well to kill two birds with one stone. And having that crunch really took the combination up a level
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

Name_not_found

Post by Name_not_found » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:27 am

Thanks for the review, great pics!

I like the beef ravi, just like canned, its familiar.

Gotta be super hot though for me (temp wise, not spice)
Ration Reviews: USA, Australia, Canada, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Spain, Russia, Lithuania
Wish List: Rations from anywhere I haven't reviewed yet!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlQPi ... kQXu87uUCA

BTemple

Post by BTemple » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:35 pm

I made the mistake of microwaving the ravioli instead of using an FRH or boiling the pouch. The sauce wasn't as runny/wet as I had imagined, so microwaving it didn't work perfectly. It would have been fantastic if I had prepared it properly.