1993 Beef Stew

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
Deadheadmatt

1993 Beef Stew

Post by Deadheadmatt » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:15 pm

Well, I tried another MRE out of the 1993 (1996 inspection date) case I bought off of ebay. It was Menu. No. 7, list as:

Beef Stew TS 8oz
Pound Cake
Peanut Butter
Crackers
Bev Base w/ Sugar
Hot Sauce
Spoon
Acc Pkt A
FRH

Interestingly, the MRE did not contain a spoon. I dug into the pound cake while the stew cooked. It was still fairly moist and had good flavor. It did have a metallic aftertaste though. The FRH heated well, but was slow to start. I had to add extra water.

The stew was good and the veggies and meat still held their shape. I didn't open the peanut butter, opting for a newer one from a 2003 MRE. The crackers tasted the same as the new ones.

The tabasco had turned dark red, almost brown. I think it got stronger with age. I also skipped the beverage mix, as it was grape (not one of my favorites).

Only ten more MREs to go (with Beef Stew and Pork in BBQ sauce gone). Next time I will try taking some pictures.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:34 am

You must have gotten one of those mutant MREs where they accidently leave out some common component like a spoon. I wonder if anyone has ever opened an MRE only to find out they forgot to put the entree in there.

You should have tried the old peanut butter. I've had some old ones and aside from having to do a little extra kneading of the package, it was still as good as new.

That tobasco can be strange stuff once it gets old. It might get stronger or it might (as I've seen a lot) just kind of disappear - I've opened a lot of old accessory packs only to find half of the tobasco gone.

Good luck with the rest of those MREs. I especially like the Pork w/ Rice in BBQ and the Meatballs - those are pretty classic MREs that you don't see anymore.

housil

16 years old chicken a la king...

Post by housil » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:13 pm

I had a 1990 Chicken a la King today.
Only the Tabasco had turned to brown color, everything else was in still good condition. The chicken had a light yellow color, but I guess that was the almost normal color.
The crackers and the peanut butter were also still delicious... :D

CaptBob

Re: 1993 Beef Stew

Post by CaptBob » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:02 pm

Deadheadmatt wrote:Well, I tried another MRE out of the 1993 ...
Interestingly, the MRE did not contain a spoon....
I opened up a Beef Enchilada MRE the other day in my office and I guess I found your spoon -- there were two spoons in mine!

Stef

Post by Stef » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:50 am

if anyone finds an extra jerky bag in a Beef Patty pack, that's mine :wink:
In principio erat spamum