Jaylo's MRE Reviews...A Very English Perspective!

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
Jaylo
inactive

Jaylo's MRE Reviews...A Very English Perspective!

Post by Jaylo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:55 am

Wotcha chaps- What follows are my reviews on some of the MREs I've had the good fortune to eat....I spend 1 saturday a month playing airsoft (much like paintball but with fully automatic replicas of real assault weapons :D)- being in the UK that means it's often cold and wet. Being able to whip up a hot meal in 10 minutes without resorting to a Pot Noodle/Cup Noodle thing is a goodsend....hence what follows are my reviews- strap yerselves in, tis' a bumpy ride ;)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Menu 2- Jamaican Pork Chop w/Noodles
Contents
Porkchop with Noodles in Sauce Meal pouch
Spiced Apples Desser Pouch
Jalapeno Cheese Spread
Vegetable Crackers
Dairy Shake
Tabasco
Accessory pack

All on-line reviews point to this particular MRE being "Teh Bestest Eva!1!" so it was not without some trepidation that I chose to have this as my 1st MRE- if it tasted like dog's arse then the rest would be palmed off on some willing idiot on the campsite.

Having slit open the orangey brown brick, It seemed I'd got a fair old amount of nosh to eat. In a brown cardboard sleeve was the main meal (Jamaican Pork and Noodles), the Flameless Ration Heater was the translucent green bag. Also included were a vaccuum packed Crackers (vegetable), a fat generous sachet of Jalapeno Cheese Spread, a second cardnboard container of Spiced Apple, a large bag of Vanilla Dairy Shake and the little 'care package' of Tabasco Sauce, flat packed bog roll, spoon, matches etc etc.

All in all it seemed like a healthy amount of nosh. First off I slit open the FRH, ripped open the card outer of the main meal and followed the instructions to the letter. Basically you add water, lean against a 'Rock Or Something' (hey- Private!...stand here while I lean my ration against you) then wait while some a exothermic reaction heats up your food to piping warmth. What suprised me, as a veteran of camping chemical heaters/handwarmers of all kinds, is just how rapidly the FRH starts producing steam...we are talking a scant few seconds between pouring in the water and the outer packet being too hot too touch:- very impressive. Dependant upon how cold it is and the exact meal you can expect the MRE heater to do it's job in 10-14 minutes.

So with a 10+ min wait I decided to try the vagaries of Jalapeno Cheese Spread and Vegetable Crackers. I had remind myself a few times that everything I was chowing down on was at least 3 years old- The crackers were crisp and tasty (if bloody salty- I would be thinking twice about these if I was low on water), the jalapeno cheese spread was a little gritty in texture but the flavour was very clearly jalapeno chillis with a gentle cheese flavour. A pleasantly spicy start to the meal....washed down nicely with ice cold lager, as always.

I rescued the Main meal from the heater (now requiring a cloth to hold) and on a whim jammed the Spiced Apple dessert into the heater to scavenge the last of the heat...

On opening the MRE, the 'chop' is infact small lumps of very well cooked pork reminiscent of some of the chinese meals I've had. It still had a meat texture and had a 'true' flavour- much better than expected. The sauce contained short pieces of cooked tagiatelli which helps bulk the meal out but there is much more meat than pasta. The sauce itself was a fruity spicy mix with some red peppers and veg evident- it reminded me a little of a spicier more flavoursome HP sauce...all in all it was very filling and extremly tasty.

Having hygenically cleaned my spoon (I licked it) I then set about my now-heated Spiced Apple pud. Basically the pouch contains stewed apples with a few sultanas and quite a bit of apple sauce spiked with nutmeg...Very sweet and satisfying, I imagine that this pud has a high trade value in the field. It's not unilke the filling of a shop-bought apple pie and would have gone very nicely with some custard and a nice slab of crispy shortcrust pastry: it was that nice!

At that point I only had the Dairy Shake left to "enjoy". This one was Vanilla flavoured and requires you to just add water then shake for a tasty milk-based beverage. At that point in the day I had a 3rd cold can of Stella on the go and decided to forgoe the Shake...it remains untried at the time of writing- guess I'm never going to be that desperate for a milkshake.

All in all, I was suprised and impressed with the quality of the MRE nosh- it was better than much of the stuff you get out of cans from the supermarket. The FRH was an absolute godsend, though if I were a real troop in combat I might be a smidge concerned about that much steam being made in my pocket....

Menu 8 Beef Patty
Contents
Beef Patty Meal pouch
Nacho Cheese Pretsels
2x Wheat Snack Bread
Cheese Spread
BBQ Sauce
Powdered BEverage base (in this case Spiced Apple Cider)
Tabasco
Accessories Pack

Afternoon rolled around and I was still pleasantly full from the lunchtime MRE reviewed above. On receiving all of my MREs the Beef Patty 'brick' was noticibly less full than the others, I therefore decided that this 'less full' MRE pack would consitute my tea prior to further drinking under the CSU Parachute and some topping off at the Pub.

Same deal with the FRH, again a rapid amount of steam was produced on adding the water.

As my main was gently cooking lent against the crate of Stella, I opened my first Wheat Snack Bread to eat with the Cheese Spread. The bread is a dense unleavened slice that has been manufacutured to look like a crust slice from a farmhouse bloomer- how very twee. In taste it's actually quite sweet, quite dry and filling. Somewhere between a good naan bread and longlife white is the best description- I must admit that I acutally quite like the Wheat Snack Bread. With a couple of slices of this and some good marmalade and/or marmite I reckon you'd have a very compact energy source for outdoor activities.....Are we all thinking 'lembas' now?

The cheese spread was not a patch on the Jalapeno flavoured stuff and fearsomely salty- not a patch on dairylea but better than the supermarket-own-brands of cheese spread. It went well with the bread, despite the serving being very thick. Cracking open another Stella, I realised the main meal was ready for my consumption.

The Beef Patty itself is a thick block inside the pouch- as I was going to be eating it from the pouch I figured it was best to smoosh it up prior to jamming it into the heater. This meal is basically intended to be a 'burger'- you eat the patty with one of the wheat bread slices, with tabasco and BBQ sauce to taste.

Having heated I opened the meal, poured in both sauces and gave everything a stir. The patty (when pre-smooshed) has a texture not dissimilar to haggis, if you've tried it. It's little 'grains' of beef meat and beefy dryish stew. With the BBQ sauce and tabasco ribboned through the mix it did taste palatable, if not exactly a taste explosion. Not as flavoursome as the Jamaican Pork, but there is nothing there to offend. A spoonful of beef patty and a bite of wheat snack bread proved to be very filling.

At this point I was again nicely full but felt I could nibble on the Nacho Cheese Snack thingys. I found these to be a perfect beer snack, which may or may not have been by design knowing the 'laid back' approach to combat of some US units....Each is a little fat inch long crispy 'roll' filled with a pinkish cheesey flavoured stuff with a slight spicy mexican hint- like the middle of Cheesy Footballs at christmas, but nicer. The bag seemed small in the hand but there was a good few in their and I really enjoyed 'em. Just need to find big bags in my local Morrisons (some hope eh)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Friday Night turned into Saturday am and I awoke fresh and ready to command (which is more than can be said for some of the dregs in the CSU camp who were busy polluting their tents)...during this early period I learned that MREs do not bung you up, contrary to urban legend- I'm happy to say nor do they affect color or heat. My lower intestine felt fine...a happy case of affairs having eaten 3 year old food, Stella and Haribo for 24 hours.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Menu 10 Chili and Macaroni
Contents
Chili and Mac Meal Pouch
Cheese Spread
Wheat Snack Bread
Pound Cake (lemon flavour)
Cocoa beverage mix
Accessories pack

Cheese spread and bread- see above.

Chilli-mac main meal was a smidge of a let down: the chilli was not really spicy enough and the meal comes without additional Tabasco. I'm a bit of a chilli fanatic: homemade chilli with pasta features in the Lopez household at least once per week. The chilli in the MRE was innoffensive at best: there were no strong bean or tomato flavours to put-off a finicky trooper used to grits. In fact there wasn't much flavour at all. Other people, with a lesser chilli sauce intake to mine may think different but I was largely underwhelmed by the meal. That said you won't starve.

Dessert was Lemon Pound cake. A nice and satisfyingly un-Twinkie like lemon glazed madeira sponge and a decent sized slab too. The lemon flavour was not synthetic and the cake was light and not dry. Very nice but 12g of fat in the cake make it not for weight watchers methinks!

Addendum:

The Better Half has taken a liking to MRE beverage mixes.

I'm reliably informed (because I never got to try any) that the Spiced Apple Cider mix is very tasty when made with hot water and is extremely comforting on wet/cold days....For those not in the know that Yanks call pretty much everything with apple juice 'cider'- it's only "hard cider" bears any resemblance to the booze Pork Pie swigs from a earthenware jug when he's riding his tractor in Zummerzet....

Therefore the dehydrated Spiced Apple Cider is like a hot apple toddy minus the alcohol.

I can also report the Lemon Ice Tea is very nice but cold do with a gin in it.....

Jaylo
inactive

Post by Jaylo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:55 am

Pasta with Vegtables in Tomato sauce:
It was cold, the missus and I were too tired to bother with sandwhiches, So I just lobbed the last MRE in the house in my buttpack and grabbed a flask of coffee.

Firstly, it was about 5 degrees when I poured the water into the heater but even then it only took a bare 7-9 minutes to produce a pipin hot meal.
In the accessory pack there is a sachet of Red Pepper (Paprika in other words) AND a bottle of Tabasco, both of which got lobbed into the meal at the start.....a minor error as this made the whole thing VERY spicy. I liked it but it was a zinger....The tomato sauce was thick and tasty without that 'salt/bland' flavour of canned baked beans and there was as much pasta as green peppers/beans. Several other bodies tried said meal and all agreed that I'd overdone the additions but the food was very edible and certainly warmed me up a treat.

Included in the MRE pack was a wet-pack desert of Pears. This contained 1" randomly shaped chunks of real pears in a light syrup....I'm not a tinned fruit cocktail fan for the very reason I find the pears to be gritty cubes of flavourless mush, but these MRE pears had lots of natural pear flavour and retained a firm, non-gritty texture.

In all another great meal to chow down upon in the safezone: Hot, filling and tastier than most canned veggie meals I've eaten when camping before.

Jaylo
inactive

Post by Jaylo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:57 am

Menu 4- Country Captain Chicken
Contents:
Country Captain Chicken
Buttered Noodles
Cheese Spread
Crackers
Toaster Pastry
Fruit Bar*
Cappuchino Mocha beverage mix.

This time around I was too hungry to wait for the oddly lethargic heater to work and ended up eating this tepid rather than hot....2 minutes into eating the main, Sepp pointed to the cloud of steam rising from the bin indicating some much needed heat was escaping to atmosphere. Oh well.

Anyhoo, I started my repast with a classic MRE combination of Crackers and Cheese spread. As an old hand, I didn't bother trying to spread the cheese. The crackers shatter into tiny bits at the merest stress so the easy way to eat them is:
1. Open crackers
2. Slit end of cheese spread
3. Break small bit of the crackers
4. Wipe lumps of cheese spread onto the cracker bit
5. Eat and repeat.
This maximises the amount of cheesey goodness going into your mouth and not on the floor. You want to eat cheese and biscuits in a prim manner then go to a restaurant.

At this point it was main meal time: in accordance with typical MRE practice the Country Captain Chicken was labelled more accurately "Breaded Chicken Breast in Mild Curry sauce". In my mind's eye I pictured a Flat Chicken escalope thing with a creamy Korma sauce....It was a worry what the US might do to a humble curry. I was pleasantly suprised: It was good sized chunks of breaded chicken in a well flavoured tomato based curry sauce. Plenty of fresh tomato flavour, pieces of onion and tom, and a good kick of garlic- I would've been happy sitting down to this in my local Indian, along with a keema naan. For my taste it needed more chilli but it was really excellent fare: the best MRE I'd eaten thus far. The Buttered noodles were nicely flavoured but rather suffered for being not as hot....I did struggle to get both packets in the heater- could've done with 2x heaters.

Pudding was the toaster pastry: a little taste of home for the US troop as this is little more than mil-spec Pop Tart. A square crisp outered/soft innered thin pastry filled with a cinnamon-y apple sauce. Much like expected, barring the yellow 'egg glazed' outer....Very nice with my thermos of Coffee.
The fruit bar was an unknown quantity until I undid the brown military outer to reveal a commerical 'softbake bar'. Unwrapping this wrapper revealed something identical in shape,taste, texture and composition to a Nutrigrain bar...which is good as I have a soft spot for 'em.

In conclusion, this is the nicest MRE meal I've eaten so far, mainly due to the suprise of the US military producing a rather well flavoured curry dish.....From some of the US MRE eaters it appears to not be too popular with our US Cousins who prefer the more uncomplicated flavours (tried a hershey bar?). Again, I didn't try the 'beverage mix' due to having plenty of hot liquids to hand, and the idea of mixing up a cold Cappuchino Mocha didn't fill me with the joys of spring.

*According the official list on MREinfo.com this shouldn't have been in the menu I got, hence a Brucey Bonus....I've got 2 other MREs at home that have some 'additions' over and above the standard

Menu 16 Jambalaya.

Ah, yes- the now semi mythical Jambalaya....This ended up on the menu because Mrs Jaylo was in her typical Sunday evening "Hungry but don't know what I fancy". I naturally ran thru all the things we'd got in the cupboards and pointed out there were 2 MREs left on the top shelf...We cheated as there was a complete lack of 'Rock or Something' in the JL Kitchen, we used the microwave- a double edged sword as this meant pouring the contents of the pouch into suitible container...and let me tell ya: your MRE tastes much, much better than it looks.

So then- Jambalaya is basically fat grains of rice with little squares of ham and little brown cooked prawns. THe whole thing is a slightly fishy dry paella with gentle flavour. Not as 'saucey' as the other MRE offerings I've eaten, it proved very filling.
Mrs JL remarked the following: "you don't get much but it's very filling" and "When you think that it looks like catfood it tastes really nice". For me it needed a healthy splodge of tabasco sauce, but Mrs JL prefered it without.
To follow was Fig Bar and Granola Bar. The former is basically 2 very large fig rolls, just like a bigger version of the biccies of the same name. I gave 'em a miss as I can't stand figs. The Granola Bar is a commercial bar, still wrapped by Nature's Bounty. What you get are 2 crunchy peanut butter flavoured cornflake cakes without any gooeyness- the shatter when you bite them and (suprisingly for a US Confection) aren't over sweet....nice.

I went for the "Beverage Mix, Grape", Mrs JL went for "Beverage Mix, Iced Tea (lemon)". Grape flavour is interesting: it's a blue/green powder that turns Purple when you add water. Tasted like flat Vimto and not drastically sweet (which suprised me when reading the pack I found out that 28g of the 30g contents were sugar!). Mrs JL's Ice Tea tasted identical to the Lipton Ice Tea you can get in the supermarket....

All in all- unusual but rather nice

Menu 21 Chicken Tetrazinni

Contents
Crackers
Grape Jelly
Dairy Shake Beverage mix
Chicken Tetrazinni meal
Pound cake dessert
Sundries

I had a brand new crate of 12 MREs sat in the front room and was feeling lazy- what kind of a QA chap would I be if I didn't sample one to make sure they were OK?

So then- this was the first time I'd had a sweet spread with the crackers. Grape jelly is essentially a thin grape jam, with large pieces of real grape...and bloody lovely on the crackers it was too. There wasn't nearly enough jelly for all the crackers but I was forced to share with the missus when she eye-balled what I was stuffing into my mouth.

Main meal got heated in the usual FRH pouch supplied- and being a less than 12month old heater is stormed up to scalding heat in about 20 seconds. The pouch was heated in about 8 minutes. (Be Aware that the FRHs do make some pungent fumes: an Official Complaint was raised in the front room and the FRH was consinged to the back patio). Not sure what expected from Chicken Tetrazinni but it wasn't what I got. It's essentially cooked-down chicken evenly distributed in the mildest of mild white sauces with short chopped spagetti running through it. Without a healthy dash of tabasco it was pretty much flavourless, barring the nice taste of chicken meat. I'm a Madras person rather than a Korma chap, hence my scorched palate is probably not the best to appreciate the Tetrazinni but the flavour of chicken was good and satisfying, the texture was firm and it was (as usual) very filling.

So to pudding, Spiced Pound cake: a flavour I hadn't tried before. The Wife instantly decided we should share since she has a major soft spot for Pound Cake. Spiced poundcake has lots of dark little spots of spices running through it and a flavour identical to that 'authentic German gingerbread' you get at Christmas- bloody gorgeous and would have gone great with custard!

I was thirsty and decided that now was time to at least try the Vanilla Dairy Shake. It's a big brown bag half filled with powdered milkshake mix. You pour in 6oz of water (about 150ml) and shake for one minute. Let me be honest- it needs more like 300-400ml of water to get all of the powder to dissolve fully: I put 150ml in the bag, shook, then topped up with water into the glass whilst stirring. Once you've done the deed, you'll need to pour it into a cup or glass to enjoy. It made a foamy, milky, Vanilla flavoured shake- not dissimilar to when you let a McDonald's Shake melt to a liquid. Nice sweet Vanilla flavour, without artificial aftertaste or other nasties.
Last edited by Jaylo on Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enchilada

Post by Enchilada » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:07 am

Hello Im in England myself tried many of those American MRE'S they are decent food(ok not home cooking or restaurant standard but they are good).
The tex-mex ones are nice beef enchilada or burrito have'nt tried the new fajita one yet!
Australian rations are'nt bad either!
Nice entrees and you get loads of muesli bars in their 24hour pack.

CaptBob

Post by CaptBob » Sun May 07, 2006 3:41 pm

Wow. Thanks, Jaylo, for such wonderful reviews of the MREs. (And thank Mrs. Jaylo, too, for her contributions!)

When I heard all the flap about Country Captain Chicken, I thought, "My God. This must be awful!" However, I finally got around to trying it and it was quite good.

Now, I have done my fair share of traveling around the world and have tasted some unusual foods, so I can imagine what the average American might think when trying a dish with chicken, currry, tomato, currants, and almond slivers in it. And this dish is a regional favorite of the south -- it became a very popular dish in our state of Georgia.

So I say, "All Hail, Country Captain Chicken!" There are plenty of recipes online for this dish as well. I might one day be so bold as to try making it at home! (Then, I'd probably take pictures of my version and the MRE version to share with this forum!)

That's all from CaptBob