Review: Veggie Burger with BBQ Sauce

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
kman
Site Admin

Review: Veggie Burger with BBQ Sauce

Post by kman » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:55 am

Yesterday's lunch was the semi-new Veggie Burger with BBQ Sauce. I say "semi-new" because it actually came out in the 2004 MREs but this was the first time I'd tried it. So it was new to me.

Veggie Burger with BBQ Sauce MRE

Just like the last Chicken Fajita MRE, this one had the date code stamped on one of the sealed edges of the bag.

Datecode stamped on bag

Unlike the Chicken Fajita MRE, this one had everything enclosed in the internal plastic baggie.

Contents of MRE
Image Image Image

And here are the contents of the MRE. My first thought was "Wow! That's a lot of food." And sure enough, it was - entree, 2 wheat snack bread, potato sticks, dessert, raisins, and beverage base. The only thing missing would have been some cheese spread to put on top of the burger.

Contents of baggie inside the MRE

The potato sticks made a good snack while the main entree was heating up.

Potato Sticks

I must have gotten distracted because I forgot to take a picture of the veggie burger inside the pouch. What you see here is just half of the veggie burger on a piece of wheat snack bread. Looking at the whole veggie burger, I figured I could put the whole thing on a single piece of bread and make a mess or cut the burger in half and put each half on a piece of bread. This worked out great! I was surprised at how good the veggie burger tasted. I'd have to say it tastes a lot better than the last grilled beefsteak entree I had. And the BBQ sauce is nice and spicy, too.

Veggie Burger on Wheat Snack Bread

Here was a new dessert for me - the Cinnamon Scone. If you ask me, it looks like they made this with the same equipment they used to make the wheat snack bread - it's the same size and shape and thickness but the recipe for the bread is different. I'd call this more of a cross between a pound cake (semi-sweet) and wheat snack bread (flat and chewy).

Cinnamon Scone
Image Image Image

Overall, this was one of the better MREs I've had lately. There's a ton of food in this menu. If you aren't a fan of vegetarian food, give one a try and it might change your mind.

donelurkin

Post by donelurkin » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:56 pm

Excellent review. I love the pic of the entree with the single bite out of it. Photographic evidence that you actually tried it!

Gotta try the scone out on my picky eater kids.

MreKampr

Post by MreKampr » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:23 pm

Thanks kman for the review
i got a veggie burger entree to sample a couple months ago.
havent tried it yet
sounds like i need to give it a go :)

i am suprised no cheese came with the meal
but at least they put in a tobasco bottle

Rey

Post by Rey » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:25 am

Not to bad of a burger i tried it a few days ago.
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.
----Theodore Roosevelt

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:11 pm

Yes, I have always put this entree up into the Don't Eat section of my cupboard along with the Clam Chowder, Thai Chicken and CCC of course. But after so many glowing reviews, I will have to try one someday...that is one day!
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

Enchilada

Post by Enchilada » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:00 pm

Tried veggie burger last night.

Not bad I do prefer manicotti, tortellini or the black bean burrito from the US.

DangerousDave

Scone?

Post by DangerousDave » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:33 am

Kman, whats with the scone. I've eaten 2. Thought they were great, but why in American mre's, by that name?, are we trying to get the Brits interested? I always thought a scone was the British interpretation to a thing us Yankees call homemade biscuits, you know, like Hardee's sells, just the bread part of the biscuit,I mean. ???

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:49 am

I always thought a scone was a biscuit-like thing that looks nice and sweet but when you actually bite into it, you find that there's very little sugar. So why are they including it in MREs? I'd guess that they're just trying to throw in something different. Maybe they're trying to give them a "Starbucks" feel by including exotic, overpriced deserts. Personally, I'd rather have a pound cake or nut cake (bring back the nut cakes!!).

SoFloAuthor

Post by SoFloAuthor » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:47 pm

maple walnut cake.....ate my first about 20 years ago.....you're on the money there kman........bring back the nut cakes!

The ones in the MREs, not the ones on this board (JOKE)
Check out my new preparedness guide: What To Do 'til The Cavalry Comes:
A Family Guide to Preparedness in 21st Century America AVAILABLE NOW at Barnes & Noble, http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... 1192&itm=1

DangerousDave

I'm sorry

Post by DangerousDave » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:53 pm

Do not bring back the nut cake. I mean that. Maybe in a survival situation, a Cherry or Chocolate nut cake would be fine, BUT! Starvin Marvin would accept 1, I guess. :cry: