Sloppy Joe Filling MRE

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
DIRTYDAVE

Sloppy Joe Filling MRE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:26 pm

Well, I got 4cs of the 2005 MREs today via FedEx and let me tell you that the Sloppy Joe one is fantastic! It tastes and looks a lot more like chili than the ground beef sloppies I grew up with. Included in the MRE are two wheat snack breads. The idea here I assume is to put your sloppy joes on one piece and top it off with the other. Well, it is impossible to put all of the sloppies in between two pieces of WSB. So what I did is put as much as I could fit onto one piece of WSB and eat the rest out of the bowl that I cooked them in, in the micro of course. The other piece of WSB held the coveted jalapeno cheese spread which I consumed with utter gourmet delight after finishing my sloppy dinner. I topped the meal off with the luscious shortbread cookies.

Now the electrolyte bev powder sort of puzzles me. It comes in an enormous bag, same size as say that the combos come in but only has the same amount as a reg 2004 style bev powder bag contains, so I do not know why they switched over to this larger style bag...seems like a waste. Also, I find that the new bev powder tastes exactly like Powerade. And funny thing also is that the grape flavored Powerade looked more like blue power ade and was not grape color in any shape, way or form. I have never been one to drink Powerade or Gatorade with a meal, so the addition of this as the bev choice is rather poor and feel that they should go back to my beloved bev base powder.

Also, I did notice also when I removed the contents of the meal that it indeed did come packaged inside a second clear bag and oddly enough the tabasco was not in the accessory packet but rather sitting among all of the various component bags...strange!

At any rate, I would have to give the sloppy joe MRE meal a 9 out of 10. I deducted one point for the new bev base powder which is good tasting but just does not go well with a meal.

It really is nice to have fresh MREs like this to eat. I really could tell a difference in each item as being very fresh and extremely tasty. While MREs are able to be eaten years after they are produced and taste fine, I now realize, after having consumed several cases of 2002-2004 menu this past year, how much tastier MREs are when they are from the current year production.

Happy Dining!

Next up...Cheese Omelet MRE for breakfast tommorrow.
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:09 pm

Hi Dave. I hope you haven't gone into a coma yet from digging into all those MREs.

As for those new beverage pouches, I think maybe that's to encourage the soldiers to use the bag to mix up the beverage and drink it from there seeing as they're not supposed to use their canteens for that stuff and just in case they don't have a canteen cup available.

MreKampr

Post by MreKampr » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:07 pm

Hi Dave...Did You Grab Em From CajunClara?

I Will Be Getin 2cs 2005 Mres Early Next Year
The Sloppy joe Is one of my favorite Entrees as well
I,ve Never Bought A Case before But Have eatin a fair supply of
components from 2004/5

My Fav is beef pot roast w/veggies..umm
Enjoy.. :D

Edit:
I noticed some buyers on ebay stating the frhs are illegal to ship
(ebay rules) and will be removed before shipment
Did Yours come with frh,s???

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:18 pm

Hey MreKampr, my MREs came from a source that cannot be disclosed at this time, as advised by the FBI... :wink:

Any MREs I have ever ordered from ebay have always come with the FRHs in them...they just post that on there because they are supposed to and nothing else. I remember ordering a case of MREs one time and the person I bought them from sent me an email and said hey the come with the heaters, I just had to put that in there on ebay as it was the only legal way to list them. Tell you the truth, I hate those heaters and wish they did not come with the meals, if I was in the field I would just throw them on the engine block or put them out in the sun to heat them.

But no I did not order from CajunClara this time.

kman, good point about those larger bev bags. As usual I did not think that that is why they probably did that. I never could understand why a GI was supposed to use his canteen cup to drink out of. I can think of nothing more unsanitary than that.

MreKampr

Post by MreKampr » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:41 pm

Dave..Thanks For The Info Bout Ebay
That Will Help alot

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:20 am

You got it bro! :wink: