1991 taste test

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
jgawne

1991 taste test

Post by jgawne » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:33 pm

Howdy all. Enjoy the site. Quite useful info.

I generally keep a case or two of MREs about, and found a caseof entress from 1991 (1D71) while moving stuff about. Packed by International Foods Retort Co. Its always been in the cool basement, so I figured I'd try it for fun. Doing so even though I well recall a buddy getting quite violently ill after eating a bad C rat.

I tried the eggs with ham first. Always like that before, but it smelled OK, looked about as I recall, maybe a tad darker. Had a slight aluminumy taste- sort of reminded me slightly of tuna fish, but wasn't too bad. Tired the dog taste test to see if he'd eat it. He generally does not like eggs, so I wasn't surprised at that.

Then on to Chicken a la king- looke a bit more runny that I had recalled, but tasted fine. Not much meat in it though. Dog loved it, except he licked around all the peas (he hates peas).

Been about a half hour and I still have a slight after taste. I think from the eggs. Might be a meal to avoid when older.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:00 pm

Hi jgawne - welcome to the forums!

Wow...not only are you brave enough to dig into a case of 1991 MREs, but you start with the Omelet with Ham! I have a few of those MREs laying around and I still can't talk myself into trying one. :-)

And then you tried the Chicken a la Death...I mean...the Chicken a la King. I've heard stories of a bad batch of that stuff that got out and made a lot of people sick. I tried a couple myself and found them to be pretty tasty.

Good luck with your tasting!

jgawne

Post by jgawne » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:04 pm

and no after effects at all that I can see, or uh, feel.