Vegetable Burger with BBQ sauce

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
truzoom

Vegetable Burger with BBQ sauce

Post by truzoom » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:46 pm

Friend of mine managed to get me a few MREs..said he'd get me a case but all I got was half a case; can't complain though.

Well everything in there looked pretty good, except for this vegetable burger stuff, so I decided to try it first. Popped it into the FRH and let it get hot, then took it out and slapped it between 2 wheat snack breads and used the remaining BBQ sauce to make each bite worthwhile.

I realize that there is probably demand for imitation meat among troops, but this was just a poorly executed attempt. The patty tasted like damp fiberboard soaked in BBQ sauce! There are so many ways to make a vegetarian meal, and this just didn't agree with me so well.

But I will say the brownie tasted great when combined with dried cranberry slices! :)

OT

Veggie

Post by OT » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:37 am

Sorry to hear that. I had one packed for my next backpacking trip. I usually save stuff to test in the field. It does not taste the same sitting in my kitchen, out in the field they always taste better.

Pot Roast in the best IMHO.

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:39 pm

I must be weird,cause I thought it was pretty good - except the BBQ sauce is kinda overwhelming. Scraped most of it off,not bad!.I thought the texture was amazing,just like hamburger!! All in all,for a veggy mre,pretty good.

BackwoodsPundit

Re: Veggie

Post by BackwoodsPundit » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:31 pm

OT wrote:Sorry to hear that. I had one packed for my next backpacking trip. I usually save stuff to test in the field. It does not taste the same sitting in my kitchen, out in the field they always taste better.

Pot Roast in the best IMHO.
Love the pot roast.. not as good as homemade, but not bad

And chili mac :)

BigMark

re: veggie

Post by BigMark » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:07 pm

Chili Mac w/ the cheese spread dumped in it is the best, but the veggie burgers are good for a vegetarian meal thats not pasta. The blackbean and rice burritos are only good w/ the salsa, dont let someone use the salsa out of your pack for their chips.. wastes a mre.

OT

BBQ

Post by OT » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:09 pm

I guess I will give it a try. Heading to the Ozark Highland trail the week of December 11th. Going to use a mixture of Freeze Dried (Mountain House) and MREs.

Have a great Thanksgiving....

OT

Hell Devil

Post by Hell Devil » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:07 pm

I just had a veggie burger mre the other day...not awful, but there are definitely better entrees. Anyway, the 2004 menu list has peanut butter in the meal, but mine didn't have any. Anyone else experience this?