MRE MEAL TODAY 1-16-05

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
DIRTYDAVE

MRE MEAL TODAY 1-16-05

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:04 am

Today I ate the Beef Terriyaki MRE. I have been holding off on this one because while I don't hate Terriyaki, I don't really love it either so I am kind of in the middle of the road on it. Below is what I ate and comments to follow.

Beef Terriyaki with Chow Mein Noodles
Mexican Rice
Wheat Snack Bread w/ Cheese Spread w/ Jalepeno
Orange Beverage
Shortbread Cookies

The mexican rice was not part of this meal, but being that I had this side left over from my Sopacko civilian case I added it for a multi-cultural flair!

I added the chow mein noodles to the entree which was a big mistake. I won't do that again as it did not help the entree out a bit, in fact, I think it hindered it for me and made it less desirable. I thought the entree could have done well on its own to be totally honest and the next time I make this meal again the chow mein noodles will be 86'ed!

The wheat snack bread was to be eaten with the supplied jam but I opted to put a left over cheese spread w/ jalepeno on it instead. I put the unopened jelly packet into my "extras" bag

The Orange beverage...well, what can I say...DELICIOSO!!!

The shortbread cookies were again very good. This marks the second time I have had this dessert and again I was very pleased with it.

I also had a bag of Crispy M&M's in this particular MRE meal which I saved and ate a few hours later.

All in all the meal was good and I now have no more fear of eating the Beef Terriyaki MRE, but next time...NO CHOW MEIN NOODLES!!!
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:17 am

You know Dave, that description of the Beef Teriyaki really threw me for a loop. As I was reading your message, I was thinking "what the heck is he doing with the chow mein noodles?" because I didn't think they were included. Then I saw on the menu that they are included. Wow...how'd I miss that one?

Like you, I can't see putting those things in the Beef Teriyaki entree. I think they're perfect, absolutely perfect for the Pork Chow Mein entree. That entree is extra-watery and that's just what you need for those noodles - something to soak up a little of the juice to make them not so crunchy.

But with the Beef Teriyaki? IIRC that entree is more like the beef w/ mushrooms, right? It just doesn't sound too chow-mein'ish.

And they included jam for the wheat snack bread? That seems like an odd combination, too. I love the jam w/ crackers - but the wheat bread is so much heftier than a cracker, you'd think you'd need a lot more jam.

Steve
inactive

Post by Steve » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:54 am

I am sorry i was somewhere else this weekend. Howdy guys, how you all doin.

I had a Enchilada MRE. Here are the details.

Enchilada
Mexican Rice
Chocolate Mint Cookies with Chocolate Chips
Vegetable Crackers with Grape Jelly
Grape Drink

Everything was tasty, Enchilada was a little dry, but with the mexican rice there it wasnt a problem. I always boil in the bag with my MRE's to help cut back all that dryness.

By the way, has anyone tried the cold weather rations before? Man those things are expensive!
You lose one - you rig one.

- Captain Quint

Hi, my name is Steve and I ramble alot... for many reasons I wish to keep to myself. :)

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:09 pm

Hey Steve. They need to include some salsa with that Enchilada MRE, don't they?

As for cold weather rations, I've eaten the "Ration, Cold Weather" before. Then there's the newer MCWs (Meal, Cold Weather). I looked for those things for years until just a month or two ago, I finally found a bunch. I haven't tried one off the MCWs yet, but judging by the contents of the MCW vs. the RCW, I think I'm going to miss the compressed oatmeal bars in the RCW - those things were great!

But at least with the newer MCWs, you don't have to worry about how you're going to break up the two meal bags into three meals - the MCWs use the same "one bag per meal" method that regular MREs use.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:49 pm

I like the enchilada MRE but not as much as the Chicken and Salsa one. I microwave my meals. I put the entree and side on a plate and micro it for about 1min and 30secs, although lately I have been thinking that that may be too long, I think I may try 1min next time.

Kman, I think the enchilada meal did come with salsa or mabye not? Hell, I don't recall, it has been sometime since I had that meal. I think I recall putting some Tabasco on it instead for some reason.

The Beef Terriyaki does not taste terriyaki at all. I guess their logic behind it is, you add the chow mein noodles and then it becomes terriyaki? Hell, I don't know.

Yes, jam and snack bread...BAD! SNACK BREAD AND CHEESE SPREAD....GOOD!

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:21 pm

DirtyDave....that's just not right - nuking your MREs. MREs were made to be eaten one of two ways - cold or heated up using the FRH!

Why...coming into this forum and talking about nuking your MREs is akin to going into a biker bar and ordering a non-alcoholic beer! We should take you out back and beat the wheat snack bread out of you for even mentioning such limp-wristed MRE heating methods!

However, seeing as it would take me about 9 hours to drive down to apply said beating, I'll let you slide this time...but only if you eat your next chicken and rice entree cold...that'll teach you.

And for the record, wheat snack bread and peanut butter is the best - the bread sticks to the bottom of your mouth and the PB sticks to the top of your mouth.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:18 pm

Oh, I am just impatient. I have fooled around with the MRE heaters enough and the novelty has worn off. I just want to shove that food into my "piehole" as quick as possible. If I am out in the field then I will rough it, but since that microwave is just sitting there so convenient, then I will just have to use it... :lol:

Post by 223 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:55 pm

Ya not to mention the lovely noxius gas in the house from those heaters. :wink:

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:10 am

Yes, I am not a big fan of the gas for sure for sure!

DangerousDave

FreezeDried

Post by DangerousDave » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:19 am

Today, I ate reconstituted freeze-dried Chili with Beans, and Nut/Raisin Mix. Now I have to go out back and lay down in the snow and ice for 45 minutes.