Mre Taste Tests

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:50 am

Hi King Leonidas - welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the list of links. They look pretty good.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:02 pm

Hey,
I looked at most of those reviews and some are a bunch of civilians and some are military. I can relate to some of the reviews but not all of them. Some of those civilians sound like they were forced to choke down the meals. Why don't they come over here and try living on them for a year! :x I don't understand why none of the reviewers added comments from people in both war zones to see what they would have to say?It might have balanced everything out. :o

BackwoodsPundit

Post by BackwoodsPundit » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:16 pm

You know, in general I find MREs just fine, some even tasty. No, it isn't fine dining, but considering their relatively light weight, durability and long shelf-life, they are almost miraculous :)

And I speak as someone whose wife is an AWESOME cook, who makes gourmet meals all the time. I myself an a good cook and an accomplished Q pitmaster. We don't eat a steady diet of prepared food, generally my wife makes stuff all from scratch cause she is half italian :) I have dined in some of the finest restaurants in the country. I consider myself to be a true chowhound.

MREs are AWESOME for what they are - almost a godsend. Those choke down folks are either just stuck up - OR - they didn't likee that kind of dish to begin with. For example, I dont usually like Chicken breast very much, so why would I expect to like a chicken breast MRE?

To tell the truth I am drooling over the chance to dig into some more chili mac :) A little sharp hungarian paprika would help, but I haven't added anything to it so far.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:34 pm

Wow! What a plethura of information! Thanks a ton!
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"