Mexican Macaroni & Cheese

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
housil

Re:

Post by housil » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:17 am

kman wrote:Did you heat up that Mexican Macaroni and Cheese? I've tried it cold and it wasn't too good - but once I heated it up, it became more "cheesy" and tastier to eat.
Thats the way it looks like after heating it up:

@Bypah
I also had some empty bottles :(

kman
Site Admin

Re: Mexican Macaroni & Cheese

Post by kman » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:05 pm

Darn, housil - that has to be the best looking Mexican Macaroni and Cheese I've ever seen! If I didn't know you better, I would think you photoshopped that. That stuff almost looks like real food! :-)

housil

Post by housil » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:07 am

kman wrote:Darn, housil - that has to be the best looking Mexican Macaroni and Cheese I've ever seen! If I didn't know you better, I would think you photoshopped that. That stuff almost looks like real food! :-)
If I invite Mrs. Housil for a very special dinner, I don´t microwave the MREs. I heat up the pounches in boiling water make them looking like real eatable food :D

That´s why the CCC suddenly surprised me with a very delicious curry smelling :shock:

rattattoo

Post by rattattoo » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:45 pm

Delighted to report that a 2006 Mexican Mac & Cheese [out of the Chicken Breast meal] was still good, and just as delicious as Mrs. Housil reported back in 2008.
The photos above, still speak plainly as to exactly what this side/meal looks like. So I won't bother with posting any new ones.
It slid out [to be microwaved] as a fairly unprepossessing slab of yellow-orange gunk. But once heated and stirred, it proved to be every bit as good as the other [newer] packs I have had. Mrs. Housil is to be given propz for her sound judgement and discerning taste.

I will have to admit to having doctored it up once I tasted a sample... Not because it was lacking, but rather to bulk up the portion size a dite. Every couple of weeks I make up a jar of sautéed mushrooms, onions, and mixed peppers so as to have them on hand for burgers, dawgs and the like. Anyway, the MM&C got a decent spoonful of that mix, and a couple of spoonfuls of hot dog chili that I also keep on hand. As I said, it certainly was not lacking in "Mexican" flavor and a reasonably good level of heat before the additions. Flavorful and hot enough that I did not add any seasonings at all; just bulk to the quantity. With the additions, it was taken to the level of "really-pretty-d**m-good". Always a pity that we don't take along that fridge full of "stuff" when we go out into the field.
Then, after couple of more spoonfuls down the hatch, I also crumbled on some blue corn chips.
Like with most of the south-of-the-border flavored MRE mains and components, the crumbled corn chips added that bit of crunch to the otherwise somewhat pasty consistency. Don't get me wrong, the macaroni was still quite firm, recognizable, and intact. However, the gram-weenie, ultra-light hikers who do the AT and the Pacific Coast Trail swear that Fritos are the perfect energy food for weight. They have just the right combination of taste, caloric energy per ounce, and they don't suffer at all if they end up crushed up. I almost always make sure I throw in one of the minibags of Fritos anytime I'm taking an appropriate MRE along. That crunchiness makes all the difference in the world.

Jessemichael82

Re: In Search of...

Post by Jessemichael82 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:51 am

kman wrote:
Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:59 am
Did you heat up that Mexican Macaroni and Cheese? I've tried it cold and it wasn't too good - but once I heated it up, it became more "cheesy" and tastier to eat.

Does anyone have a box of this on hand they would like to sell and part ways with? Really want to try it out.
Also looking for a box of Cornbread stuffing.
Thanks guys,
JesseMichael